Options

virtual networks?

chipcreepchipcreep Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
Does anyone know of any free virtual networking simulators to get a feel for the layout and concepts? I'm downloading wireshark now but thats just a packet analyzer. I work at a help desk in an Enterprise environment but I'd like to practice Networking at home some how.

BTW, I have Windows 8.1.

Comments

• Options
    Alex90Alex90 Member Posts: 289
    GNS3 is free, I don't use it myself but you'll find a lot of members on this site that do.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Alex90 wrote: »
    GNS3 is free, I don't use it myself but you'll find a lot of members on this site that do.

+1 to GNS3. Also if you are going to get serious about studying with it, it would be worth the $40 donation to early access to GNS3 1.0 and other nice features.
  • Options
    chipcreepchipcreep Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I looked at their site last night when I was searching around. It looks like the best option but this is what threw me off:

"In most situations, to use GNS3 you first need to provide your own copy of a network operating system, like Cisco IOS, PIX, ASA, IPS or Juniper JunOS."

Is that something I would need to use the program?
  • Options
    FrankGuthrieFrankGuthrie Member Posts: 245
    Yes, you need your own IOS, PIX etc image to run the devices.
  • Options
    SecurityThroughObscuritySecurityThroughObscurity Member Posts: 212 ■■■□□□□□□□
    chipcreep wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any free virtual networking simulators to get a feel for the layout and concepts? I'm downloading wireshark now but thats just a packet analyzer. I work at a help desk in an Enterprise environment but I'd like to practice Networking at home some how.

BTW, I have Windows 8.1.
    I would strongly recommend cisco packet tracer, in the first place, not GNS3.