Options

Stanley CC Class January - March 2014.

Comments

• Options
    kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    Essendon wrote: »
    I reckon kj0 was referring to the $1000 course offered by UCSC and some other college (dont remember the name)
    Yeah, that sounds about right, I haven't looked through my emails to find that quote. Still.. $185 compared to $1000 is a lot nicer - including all my books, course, and exam, it all still comes under half that.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • Options
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    I just wondering if I missed a trick! :)
    Sweet talking?
  • Options
    Anyone else having trouble logging onto moodle? Just continuing to fail for me.
  • Options
    thawkththawkth Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This might be a silly question.

I completed labs 0, 1, and 2 just now and I'm wondering how it registers as complete?

Or does the instructor just check our setup periodically?

I followed the step by step guides and did exactly what it said, just curious if I can verify that I'm doing what I need to so far!

Also, does anyone find the topics (videos) helpful at all so far? I'm finding it hard to sit through. I have CBT Nuggets and plan on a few books, but I'm wondering if the videos are important/necessary?
  • Options
    I wondered about the Labs, but they are apparently tracked, I haven't asked the instructor about it yet though.

As for the Videos, you need to sit through them, keep in mind this is how it would run at a walk-in institution - Minus being able to ask questions on the spot during the presentation.
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    Didn't even know this thread existed. I haven't done much labbing yet. Just did my required initial quiz, put my VMware info in and did the discussions board introduction. Hopefully hitting a couple real assignments soon.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    Has anyone seen this course show up on their mylearn.vmware.com page yet?
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    tprice5 wrote: »
    Has anyone seen this course show up on their mylearn.vmware.com page yet?

It doesn't show for me yet. I'm wondering if that will take until the class is over and you've passed?
  • Options
    kj0 wrote: »
    As for the Videos, you need to sit through them

What are you basing this off of? I find some of the videos less than helpful. Granted, I've only attempted to watch the first two and the early topics may be so mundane for him that he just glosses over, but I feel like I'm just being read bullet points from a textbook. No disrespect to the professor at all, I was just hoping to get a little more from his personal experience about little quirks here and there.
    WGU MSISA
  • Options
    To be honest, I was expecting a bit more. However, The way I read into it was that you needed to watch the videos to indicate that you're doing the course. It's not just the labs that need to be completed but also the tutorials/videos
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What are you basing this off of? I find some of the videos less than helpful. Granted, I've only attempted to watch the first two and the early topics may be so mundane for him that he just glosses over, but I feel like I'm just being read bullet points from a textbook. No disrespect to the professor at all, I was just hoping to get a little more from his personal experience about little quirks here and there.

This is basically what I expect from the course when I get to sit it. When I took the 4.x course from my local community college, it was very much similar. Videos that were put together by VMware that didn't really cover much, slides that were basically taken directly from the official books and so on. My instructor had sat and passed the VCP not long before the course and my manager and I were the in the first class of students through it. The instructor had essentially no real world experience, was strictly book taught. There was a lot of erroneous information given out by the instructor during the course. All in all it wasn't a very pleasant experience. Since then, I see the VMware IT Academy offerings to be little more than an economical way to meet the training requirements in order to earn the certification upon a pass. The class material VMware provides in and of itself isn't really anything that can't easily be replicated through self study. While I wouldn't expect an instructor with a lot of real world knowledge to convey to the classroom in the community college setting, I would expect it if I were to take the official VMware course for the $1500 or whatever it runs now days... I'd be sorely disappointed if I got the same level of instruction direct from VMware for a much higher price tag. But for the price paid at places like Stanley or my local school, I see it as little more than some videos, slides and labs I have to suffer through in order to obtain the certification while the real study takes place in my home lab with Lowe's book.
  • Options

I actually e-mailed the prof to ask about this, and based on the response I think he was a bit offended (not that I disparaged the class...just asked if the videos were a requirement).

He assured me that watching the videos WAS tracked on moodle and we were in fact required to log in weekly and watch all of the videos/do the labs.

I've been working through Scott Lowe's book as well and... I'm really glad I bought Scott's book :)
  • Options
    This class ends on the 5th, correct?
    WGU MSISA
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Quick question: I filled out the required form almost a week and a half ago. How long did it take them to get back to you in order to pay for the class? I'm kind of OCD and just want to pay for the course as quickly as possible (hate owing for things). Getting to the step where I could pay for it would make me feel that I was taking another step forward. Just want to dive into this course!!!!!!!
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    I don't recall the exact length of time. I know I chronicled all of my earlier contact with Stanly in a previous thread here...

EDIT: Unreal. For some reason every time I try and hyperlink it messes up. Title: [h=1]Spring 2014 VMware courses at Stanly Community College[/h]
    WGU MSISA
  • Options
    Less than two weeks from last email to get the payment email.

The course finishes on the 8th. Best to make sure you completed everything, I'm surprised that they haven't gone through and let us know a week out if there is anything we have missed, and then they just mark that last bit. It's hard to keep track when the labs drop out, especially around bed time. lol.
  • Options
    I remember looking down on the people who put everything off to the last minute on the prior thread. Now I am one of those people. Between work, a 2 week visit from my mom and general laziness I have not managed to make a whole lot of progress in the course. I did a marathon session on Saturday and knocked out labs 3-10. I would have likely completed more if I wasn't watching New Girl, The Hunger Games and other movies/shows during. That and the internet was in and out. I was planning on more last night but the internet was completely down. May have to hang out at a coworkers place tonight after work just to get some more labbing done. What all do you guys have left?
    WGU MSISA
  • Options
    Dryst999Dryst999 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    stryder144 wrote: »
    Quick question: I filled out the required form almost a week and a half ago. How long did it take them to get back to you in order to pay for the class? I'm kind of OCD and just want to pay for the course as quickly as possible (hate owing for things). Getting to the step where I could pay for it would make me feel that I was taking another step forward. Just want to dive into this course!!!!!!!
    I'm actually still waiting too, filled out the google doc on Wednesday 2/26. It said that it could take 2 weeks for us to get the signup/payment info, i'm going to wait another day or so before I contact Jana. Glad i'm not the only one who is nervously checking their email every few hours!
  • Options
    STANLY_CCSTANLY_CC Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes, the current class ends on March 5.
    This class ends on the 5th, correct?
  • Options
    am3rig0am3rig0 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So did anyone complete Lab 22 for extra points? icon_smile.gif

Just out of interest, anyone knows if we get any benefits through VMAP Download free VMware software with the VMware Academic Program (VMAP) | From OnTheHub ?
  • Options
    dadajidadaji Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am in the process of doing lab 8, where I have created a VM, and trying to install/upgrade vmware tools ( I know, I am a procrastinator). But when I power on the vm and open the console, the mouse pointer does not go the menu as the instructions suggest. This will be Task 4 in lab 8. The mouse pointer disappears and appears on when I am in the VM console or out of the vcenter client. I have tried crtl + alt but that does not work. I am trying this since yesterday but no luck.
    Anyone have any ideas about this?

Thanks.
  • Options
    dadajidadaji Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Another lab question.
    Lab 20/21.
    After finishing Lab 20, where esxi-1 is shutdown, how do I get it back up and running to continue to Lab 21? I have tried the root username and pwd but it does not work.
    Any ideas?

Thank you.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dadaji wrote: »
    Another lab question.
    Lab 20/21.
    After finishing Lab 20, where esxi-1 is shutdown, how do I get it back up and running to continue to Lab 21? I have tried the root username and pwd but it does not work.
    Any ideas?

Thank you.

On the environment, 3rd tab (I think) can start the specific servers.
  • Options
    So, the class is over and I would like to register for my test. When do we receive our pass/fail? I would like an official completion statement from Stanly that I can submit for reimbursal to my company. Also, when do we get our 70% off voucher? Anything else we need to do before closing the book on this course?
    WGU MSISA
  • Options
    about a week or so before the course finished I just logged on to my learning VMware account and went here https://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=12457&ui=www_cert

I then click the "Register for Exam" and all is good. You could do it before you even took the course.

However, I received and email from Dustin on Thursday morning (Wednesday US time) that said I had completed the course.

As for your voucher, if you log onto the Stanly store, you can "purchase" that and your free Workstation/Fusion/ESXi 2 year codes. I used my 100% voucher from VMUG first and then will use my 70% afterwards if I need too.
  • Options
    kj0 wrote: »
    about a week or so before the course finished I just logged on to my learning VMware account and went here https://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=12457&ui=www_cert

I then click the "Register for Exam" and all is good. You could do it before you even took the course.

However, I received and email from Dustin on Thursday morning (Wednesday US time) that said I had completed the course.

As for your voucher, if you log onto the Stanly store, you can "purchase" that and your free Workstation/Fusion/ESXi 2 year codes. I used my 100% voucher from VMUG first and then will use my 70% afterwards if I need too.

I clicked "Register for Exam" and then it had me request permission to take the exam.
    Are you taking the 5.0/5.1 test or the 5.5? I'm doing 5.5. Got a test date?

Currently having trouble locating the Stanly store. I am not seeing it in the list of links on "Eagle's 1 Stop".
    WGU MSISA
  • Options
    Yeap, request Authorisation and then you will receive an email about an hour later. Taking the 5,5 got the date set for a few weeks time, Gives me time to finish the mastering book and then go through the blueprint with a fine tooth comb.

Store. http://vmware.stanly.edu/
  • Options
    Sorry you have to hold my hand throught this but what credentials am I supposed to use at the VMware store? I've tried all my go-to password combos and still coming up with a lot of red.
    WGU MSISA