Linux Labs

BryzeyBryzey Member Posts: 260
I have finished studying for the Linux+ now and have moved on to the CCNA. When I get time over the next few months I plan to rewrite some of my notes into lab exercises for my blog.

If there is any interest in this sort of thing I will copy paste them into this thread for anyone else studying for the Linux+.

If others would like to post some of their labs up as well I think it would be awesome and breathe a bit of life back into this section :)

Boot into single user mode and change the root password - Debian

Steps:
  1. Boot your virtual machine. When you see the Grub menu hit spacebar to stop the boot process so you can read the options.
  2. You will notice one of the options is 'e' which will take you into edit mode. This is the option you are going to go with so go ahead and press 'e' on your keyboard.
  3. Now you want to find your Kernel information so you can make a small change. Scroll down until you see the line that points to our kernel. It should start with “linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6"
  4. Move your cursor to the end of that line and add a space. Once you have added the space type in init=/bin/bash
  5. Press Ctrl X to boot

Great so now you are in the system but there is one problem. You only have read access. To change the password you are going to need write access so go ahead and enter in the command

mount -rw -o remount /

Great, now you have remounted the root directory with read and write access so you can change the password by entering in the following command

passwd

The shutdown and halt commands will not work. In order to reboot, press Ctrl-Alt-Delete.

When the system comes up, the root password will be whatever you changed it to.

Reset Root Password Debian - YouTube

Comments

• proph21proph21 Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey mate,

I am definitely interested if you posted your labs in this thread. I don't have current plans to take the exam, but I have been going through Linux material the past 3 weeks because I feel it will be important in my field to have exposure with flavors of Linux.

If I get the time, I will create a few labs from my notes and share them as well.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Is the Linux+ exam a life time certification, or do you need to renew the cert every 3 years?
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • The_ExpertThe_Expert Member Posts: 136
    Linux+ is currently a lifetime certification, however, this may change in the future. The LPI certification expires after 5 years.
    Masters, Public Administration (MPA), Bachelor of Science, 20+ years of technical experience.

Studying on again, off again...
  • OmniManOmniMan Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What leads you to believe it may change other than a few others are good for three years?
  • The_ExpertThe_Expert Member Posts: 136
    Well, because CompTia changed their ways with the other certs which used to be good for life. I'm sure greed will set in and they will be able to justify making it a 3 year cert like the rest.

This is just my personal opinion. I'm happy that LPI gives at least 5 years - which I feel is more reasonable than a 3 year cycle.
    Masters, Public Administration (MPA), Bachelor of Science, 20+ years of technical experience.

Studying on again, off again...