Time to start working on CCNP

StaunchyStaunchy Member Posts: 180
Got my CCNA last month and was going to do CCNA Sec 1st but due to work requirements I have to 1st persue CCNP.

I have read some great reviews on CCNP Route FLG and Simplified books but which 1 would you guys recommend? Started reading network warrior in the mean time until I have decide which book to get and just to refresh my mind a bit.
2016 Goals: CCNP R&S, CCNA Security, CCNP Security
LinkedIn

Comments

• joetestjoetest Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I can't praise the ccnp simplified books enough. Kindle edition is awesome and cheap. I passed SWITCH using preeetty much only that one, few other internet sources and labs using my own switches.

I'm reading the Route book atm. It seems to be just as good so far(Read a few chapters).
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For Route Reading Materials: FLG and Simplified

Switch: OCG and Simplified

I'd suggest going for switch first as well. Get your self a win with switch and move on to route. The route test is a monster.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • NinzNinz Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Staunchy, congratulations on obtaining on your CCNA, that is a hard exam, so well done on that

FAO joetest, Thanks for the reading material information there

FAO Daniel,
    That's always been a curious question mark for me, as to the right order to pursue the exams
    I've heard many people say, who have passed it themselves that its best to do the routing first, as they have routing topics within the syllabus of a switch?
    Thanks for your input on the reading materials, I'm looking to obtain my CCNP this year starting with the Route
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Whatever area you are stronger in take that test first. I do a lot of switching, and I found SWITCH to be tougher than the ROUTE exam - not because of the material, but some (a bunch) of the questions were nonsensical. This was a common complaint with the exam a few years ago (not sure if it's "fixed" now).
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    pitviper wrote: »
    Whatever area you are stronger in take that test first. I do a lot of switching, and I found SWITCH to be tougher than the ROUTE exam - not because of the material, but some (a bunch) of the questions were nonsensical. This was a common complaint with the exam a few years ago (not sure if it's "fixed" now).

It isn't. Though, while many questions had questionable language, I only found one that was just plain wrong/didn't make sense to me.
    I've heard many people say, who have passed it themselves that its best to do the routing first, as they have routing topics within the syllabus of a switch?

I agree with this. There's also the fact that you can prepare for the routing exam with only GNS3.
  • StaunchyStaunchy Member Posts: 180
    I landed a gig at Intelys their south africa office(intelys.net) as a network engineer where I will be working on cisco, juniper and checkpoint kit. Now I can finally start doing what I enjoy no more server and desktop support :)

Going to be hard work as thet going to identify 4 exams which I need to write and pass in the next 6 months. For every exam passed I will let an increase too.
    2016 Goals: CCNP R&S, CCNA Security, CCNP Security
    LinkedIn
  • bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    Hi Staunchy congrats on the CCNA pass like most of the guys will tell you that is a tough exam!

For me I have both the OCG and Simplified guide, the OCG was fairly dry but informative (which i read first). I'm now reading the simplified and I find that brilliant! Lots of information (that the OCG didn't state) and some excellent examples! You can pick that up on amazon for £3!!!! I also don't have a Kindle but have installed the Kindle app on my Windows 8 Laptop. :)
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]