Study for CCNA, am I good to go for Net +?

GibsyrgGibsyrg Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a firm understanding of the material for the CCNA, but that is the only thing that I have been studying for. I have no prior network experience and am looking to build up some certs for employment.

My question is, will I be prepared for Net + if the only material that I have been pounding on is the CCNA stuff?

Or should I get an overview book on net +, such as sybex or something similar?

Thanks

Comments

• GibsyrgGibsyrg Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well I guess if I had searched a bit I would have found info on this. Its seems the concensus is that I should be good to go right?
  • OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    Study for the network+ objectives. It will only help you in the long run. Are you that lazy? :D
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Although there is a lot of overlap between the CCNA and Network+, there 'are' some essential differences. Enough to make the difference between a pass or fail, even if you aced the CCNA exam. However, if you read my TechNotes: www.techexams.net/co_netplus.shtml , download the exam objectives from the CompTIA site, and take some practice tests, the Network+ exam shouldn't be much of a challenge compared to the CCNA.
  • rosant1rosant1 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Olajuwon wrote:
    Study for the network+ objectives. It will only help you in the long run. Are you that lazy? :D

harsh but i think true. The parts that don't overlap might get you. Don't go in cold hit the library and go over the objectives at the least.
  • hortcomhortcom Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I failed the Network+ twice!! went onto to get the CCNA and have since come back and got the Network+. Of course a score of 740 was a fail 5yrs ago so the pass mark has come down but I did not find the Network+ easy so be careful. Esp. the wording of the questions, always tripped me up.

Be prepared for some lengthy questions also, I had proxies and omnidirectional antennae!! CCNA was always subnetting/TCP/IP and Network+ was OSI/TCP/IP, not one subnetting question in the Network+ but that was just my experience.
  • gravyjoegravyjoe Member Posts: 260
    Webmaster wrote:
    Although there is a lot of overlap between the CCNA and Network+, there 'are' some essential differences. Enough to make the difference between a pass or fail, even if you aced the CCNA exam.
    From taking both the Network+ and CCNA exams, I know this to be true. The Network+ goes into IPX and also the different kinds of cables and connectors, whereas the CCNA exam does not. Get a good study guide and study it good.
    The biggest risk in life is not taking one.
  • pacman234pacman234 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am looking to complete the same certs as you have Gravy. Would you recomend network+ before CCNA?
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    gravyjoe wrote:
    Webmaster wrote:
    Although there is a lot of overlap between the CCNA and Network+, there 'are' some essential differences. Enough to make the difference between a pass or fail, even if you aced the CCNA exam.
    From taking both the Network+ and CCNA exams, I know this to be true. The Network+ goes into IPX and also the different kinds of cables and connectors, whereas the CCNA exam does not. Get a good study guide and study it good.
    I agree. Stuff I can think of off the top of my head that the CCNA does not cover like the Net+ will:

Novell (IPX/SPX)
    Wireless (Standards, AP's, Antenae, etc.)
    NetBEUI, AppleTalk
    Fiber

Probably more.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    sprkymrk wrote:
    I agree. Stuff I can think of off the top of my head that the CCNA does not cover like the Net+ will:

Novell (IPX/SPX)
    NetBEUI, AppleTalk
    Fiber

Way back, when I got my CCNA, IPX/SPX, AppleTalk, NetBEUI/NetBIOS, TokenRing, etc. were part of the exam. Wireless hadn't broken onto the scene, yet.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    BubbaJ wrote:
    sprkymrk wrote:

Novell (IPX/SPX)
    NetBEUI, AppleTalk
    Fiber

Way back, when I got my CCNA, IPX/SPX, AppleTalk, NetBEUI/NetBIOS, TokenRing, etc. were part of the exam. Wireless hadn't broken onto the scene, yet.
    Really? Well, I guess they could have been covered as part of the OSI model.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Really? Well, I guess they could have been covered as part of the OSI model.

The CCNA exam actually got pretty deep into IPX/SPX and AppleTalk. I don't really remember seeing the other stuff on the exam, but I found some notes and study material from when I took the exam. We configured and ran IPX and AppleTalk over ethernet.

Unfortunately, I gave away most of my stuff on the CCNA years ago. I wish now that I had kept it.