Considering the Security+ Exam

prtech79prtech79 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am interested in getting into the cybersecurity industry, but I am not sure what would be the best course of action. I have a degree in business and no experience in IT. I was told that a Security+ certification would help me find an entry level job in the industry.

If I were to get the Security+ certification, how can I start to get some experience in the industry? What type of job should I look for? Can you get into some consulting work with this certification?

In general, would a Cybersecurity master's program be more beneficial than bunch of certifications (CEH, Security+, CCNA, etc)?

Comments

• linuxloverlinuxlover Banned Posts: 228
    I believe security is a specialization, not a path of its own. You first need to learn how something works before you're able to secure it. I may be wrong here but I don't think there are any entry-level security jobs.
  • jaywalkerjaywalker Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The Security+ is a good foundation to build upon if you're going for a career in infosec. Studying other subjects in conjunction with an S+ (such as Network Administration) is more than likely inevitable. The fun part is that there are different security-related roles you can choose from. It helps to know exactly what you want to do though. Do you want to perform penetration testing? Forensic analysis? Vulnerability assessments? Help the NSA or be the next Ed Snowden? Write policies and ensure they are enforced? The list goes on, but you can make your final decision after becoming Security+ certified. A job in level 1 tech support/help desk/desktop support would be a good place for starters. They will work with you as long as you're willing to learn and apply the knowledge. That's my experience with call centers anyway.

Hope this helps you. Good luck with your journey.
    Goals for 2015: ICND1 [], ICND2 []

..........:cheers:
    A winner is you
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have always wondered, say you are a network engineer R&S and you get the S+, whats the next logical step? I mean S+ isn't enough right?

so whats the next step, the Cisco security track, Juniper security track or ?
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just found all i needed to know in this thread. I advice everyone to check it out

http://www.techexams.net/forums/security-certifications/28593-security-certification-where-start.html
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • jaywalkerjaywalker Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JustFred wrote: »
    I just found all i needed to know in this thread. I advice everyone to check it out

http://www.techexams.net/forums/security-certifications/28593-security-certification-where-start.html

Wow. Thanks for pointing that out! Lots of gold in that thread.
    Goals for 2015: ICND1 [], ICND2 []

..........:cheers:
    A winner is you
  • maharalielmaharaliel Member Posts: 119
    I will advise you to start by getting IT skills before going into security career.
  • DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Yep I suggest you look at your A+ first and get basic skills - otherwise you won't know the main items to support the protection of them.