i'm new to certifications

rocksteady_grocksteady_g Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
how is it everyone,

I recently passed my Network+ last week. But now I am very unsure of what certification/s I should pursue. I will be getting my BS in December and am just trying to establish myself. I basically have no job experience in the industry, so it seemed to me that certifications were a good idea.

I have no idea what other exams to take. I know that it depends on what I want to get into and the job market in my area. But could yall give me some tips on what I may pursue next? Everyone's seems to want a MCSE, would that one be applicable toward me? I was thinkin about the CCNA, as that seems for entry-level people as well. Should EVERYONE have the A+, as it seems it is the first one everyone takes, and the most "general" of the exams.
[/b]

Comments

• jrowejrowe Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    personally i wouldn't view any cisco exam as entry level,
    they are tough exams.
    comptia on the other hand i would say is entry level and most people see A+ and Net+ as a basic grounding before going onto MCSA/MCSE or Cisco qualifications.
    IMO A+ may be your best bet before looking at the others.

just my opinion, others may feel differently

:)
  • jlambertjlambert Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You can't go wrong with A+, from what I hear most companies require it along with the others.
  • 2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    I'll second that. icon_rolleyes.gif I call them the warmup (A+, Net+). If u;re fresh to the exercise, make sure u warmup.

My back hurts.... lol (cuz I didn't do the warmup)

2lbs.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • abosseenabosseen Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    HI everybody:
    I am a new also to the certificates.... I don't know with which exam should I start... currently I am a candidate for a BS degree in both Computer Science & Engineering (double major) and I will graduate in june 2004.
    So, what is ur advise for me?!!!!(I took courses in networking & network designs, oracle pl/sql, java programming...)
    Thanks icon_confused.gif
    let us always help each other
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    abosseen wrote:
    HI everybody:
    I am a new also to the certificates.... I don't know with which exam should I start... currently I am a candidate for a BS degree in both Computer Science & Engineering (double major) and I will graduate in june 2004.
    So, what is ur advise for me?!!!!(I took courses in networking & network designs, oracle pl/sql, java programming...)
    Thanks icon_confused.gif

Before we can give you advice on what certs to pursue, we need to know what kind of work in the computer field do you want to do?
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • abosseenabosseen Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    icon_redface.gif really, I didn't decide yet on which field I want to be employed but I prefer either networking or programming. icon_confused.gif
    Thanks
    let us always help each other