Options

Lab Setup Recommendation - 70-680 & 70-685

Sky747Sky747 Member Posts: 6 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

I've been a long time lurker of these forums, but never actually participated in any threads. I'm currently working in a technical support position (supporting the application mostly...very little actual operating system troubleshooting) and would like to expand my knowledge.

I'm using a PC at work and a Mac at home. I'd like to build my own lab to study for 70-680 and 70-685, as I enjoyed building my own desktop a few years back.

I'm looking for recommendations in terms of custom PC configurations, keeping in mind that I will most likely pursue the MCSE certification path in the future. My budget is around $800 with some room for margin.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions! :)

Comments

• Options
    bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There are some really good options when it comes to Server/Client Labs. Obviously money will be the driving factor here. So I will list a few general options to get this thread rolling.

First and easiest, Microsoft Virtual Academy. This is great because they have labs already to go, turn key if you would. Big downside, is your limited to how long you can have access to a lab. But if you are creative (or just down right broke) this option is for you.

Second the "Cheap" Lab setup. If you already have a PC or Mac, you may want to flex the other free option. This intails VM's and a somewhat powerful PC or Mac to pull off. You'll want to max out RAM, 8GB's is a great start. Software would be Oracle Virtual Box, and some free trial downloads from Microsoft. This usually consist of a VM server and another VM client PC. You can add more as needed. But with one PC your limited unless you want to start shelling out the Benies to get any further (see forth setup option).

Third option is a somewhat cheaper route but less fun from a physical trouble shooting standpoint. And as with most Labs offered there are Testing software companies that have Software Labs, Boson to name one that offers a Lab setup for both exams. This may fit someone that needs a structured Lab environment to stay the course and get the cert quicker.

Forth would be a PC or old school Mac Pro with the availability to add hard drives (SSD, and old school spinning platters type). I have seen some really cool setups with 4 SSD's and a large traditional hard drives for data storage. Of course this would be more along the lines of someone wanting to pursue their MSCE later, so it may scale better in the long run to buy a big box PC and have the room for expansion.

Finally the last option would be to have a physical box for each Server or PC. This is could be less then a Big Box option, since older PC's can be had with little to no cost. But this provides for a great hands on for real world troubleshooting. Obviously you're going to see your electric bill start to look a tad bit higher the months you really lab it up. This could prove to be very helpful, yet the most time consuming of all the options.

Their maybe other options or even mixture of two or even three options above. This is my take on the options, and I am sure I missed one or two others.

And by the way get to studying.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    As much ram as you can afford, 8gb would be a good start, 16 or 32 would be better.
    SSD hard drive(s) if you can afford these.
    Non K cpu, if using Intel cpu.

VMWare Workstation
    Or ESXi or HyperV if you can dedicate PC for a baremetal config.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    Thank you both, that was quite helpful! :)
  • Options
    bub9001,

Thanks again for your thorough reply.

I still haven't decided which way to go yet. My dilemma is that I currently have a Macbook Pro 13" Retina with 8GB RAM and an OWC 480 SSD. I feel that it should be able to run a couple of VMs without much trouble, but I wanted to get your opinion if I could.

I would rather keep my MBP for now than sell it to help finance the purchase of a new PC. However, I'm willing to do that if it's the best course of action.

Thanks again for your and everyone else's input.
  • Options
    @Sky747

Really the one major driving force when running more then just a Server and a single host would be RAM. Since you already have a SSD your hard drive speed isn't low enough to warrant a second drive. But space for 20GB's a piece VM's may stretch you some. I have found that a external Firewire 800 or USB 3.0 drives more then helpful for storage speed (notice I didn't mention Thunderbolt, cost way to high currently for that option in my opinion).

I run a similar setup to yours and if you can upgrade to 16GB's you will be able to run more servers or hosts as needed. But really for MCSA Windows 7 a Single Server and Client PC will do. I haven't had a overwhelming need to go an buy a new Mac or PC for my VM Lab. Yes it would be nice but don't need it currently.

I have linked a very helpful video about "Linked Cloning" which I found really helpful for getting servers and host going quicker with less space and time.

Ultimate VirtualBox Lab: How to Setup Linked Clones

Hope this helps and definitely shoot me a message if you have any questions, I will try to help the best I can.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

• Options
    bub9001,

I hadn't thought of using an external drive for this setup, and I will definitely consider it.

Memory is definitely the weak spot, as the RAM cannot be upgraded in my MBP Retina. I believe the memory in all rMBPs is soldered to the logic board. However, I think I should be able to manage one server and client with 8GB. It may be more of an issue should I pursue additional Microsoft certifications requiring more VMs.

Thanks for the link regarding linked clones. I'll definitely check this out!

Thank you again for your time. I appreciate it! icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    Good deal, glad I could help.