Options

Need some suggestions on how to prepare

manishagtcmanishagtc Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I only have about 16 days to get all that info in my head. I've been studying and I work too but now it's down to the wire. Is there a more efficient way of studying where I can memorize all that info in a short time to master everything and pass the Network+ exam?

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    First thing to do is ensure you have a current copy of the NET+ objectives found on CompTIA's website.

Second, If you don't already know the material, set your exam date back further. This is an exam geared toward candidates WITH some experience, therefore it should not be a panic to prepare. So, since it sounds as though it is a panic, please consider spending more time with the material as I doubt this will be your last exam for IT material.

Lastly,
    Note cards, make audio of yourself reciting the content to learn it more thoroughly. Or simply try reading the material aloud. You will find it 'sinks' in better with the audible queues in addition to the visual from reading the material.

Unfortunately, there is no 'quick' way to 'master' anything, mastery takes a lifetime with a healthy dose of patience, practice, mistakes, and repeating.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Urgh I didnt realize this got moved to this section....thanks!

A little background:
    The thing is, i've postponed taking this test atleast a couple times now because of serious personal problems that were agonizing and distracting. About two weeks ago is when I was free of all that.

Now I've been reading up and studying for the past few weeks(I already have the exam objectives which i've been following) and I have a little child too so the studying has been slow. I've taken loads of notes on index cards but there's still loads of information that I need to still stuff in my brain but I'm freaking out now. I'll say honestly, I know 50% of it possibly a little bit more than that. When taking the practice exams on here I've gotten a 75% or higher so obviously I still need a lot of studying.

Postponing it again and again will just get me to never take it. It's come to the point where people that had no clue about the networking field a year or two ago that were acquaintances of mine that had loads of time on their hands and free of any "pain" are now ccna certified while I was buried in my own personal pain issues, but I digress.

The Professor Messer videos are great but there are 189 of them on youtube and taking notes and watching them is very time consuming which i've been doing for the past couple days. It's just not possible to watch all of them.

I'll do all night study sessions for two weeks straight. I just very passionately want to be Network+ certified now since it's been a dream of mine.

I wish I was a lot better at memorizing everything.

Where can I get loads of practice exams that are geared towards N10-005 because the ones on techexam are from -003 right? If it's a book I need to buy what book is best for practice exams..

You all have so many certifications and know what you're talking about. I really look up to you all. I love computer networking with a passion but there's so much of that rote memorization which is so hard. It would be a dream to be Network+ certified. Any suggestions would greatly help
  • Options
    jhntbrightjhntbright Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You're are not alone and some of us having same matter; so do I and here what I am doing now to prepare for net+ in the next two months although I also did not have much experience:

1. Reading Exam Cram
    2. Watching Prof. Messer's videos
    3. Using Mike's passport practice questions book
    4 Buying Darril Gibson net+ apps to practice question & flashcard on i-phone anywhere you have time, this apps helps me a lot now.

CompTIA Network+ N10-005 Authorized Exam Cram (4th Edition): Emmett Dulaney, Michael Harwood: 9780789749055: Amazon.com: Books

Mike Meyers’ CompTIA Network+ Certification Passport, 4th Edition (Exam N10-005) (CompTIA Authorized): Michael Meyers, Scott Jernigan: 9780071789059: Amazon.com: Books

Learnzapp Mobile App for Test Preparation

Hope these will help and good luck. Just take time to discover, learn and cultivate to overcome the hardship in life, there is nothing to be easy as have said and thought; it needs a commitment.
  • Options
    You're awesome. Thanks for the response and it's good to know i'm not the only one in a personal hell.

I have the exam cram book but it's the 003 one and I also have the Mike Myers one you mentioned. Reading all the chapters is a challenge because it's time consuming. I've read most chapters except the last three

I'll look up Learnzapp mobile app...thanks for the suggestion. Good luck to you, i'm pretty sure you'll pass with flying colors. *hugs*

I might need to postpone it again(NO!!!!! icon_sad.gif) by 1 or 2 weeks depending on how prepared I feel after two weeks. We shall see how it goes.
  • Options
    estergonestergon Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have just passed the exam.

If you don't have any exam experience before, like me, understand that exam questions are not like direct question from the book.

Rather then direct questions from the book, they do make a real life stories and expect you find the right answer. Which is obviously this is how it should be.

Like "users complaining about xxx and what is the BEST approach". So that is why I would advice you to take preparation exams.

Focus on how/where you can use the knowledge, do not just memorize.

They rarely asked simple question, which you can see easily on the book.

Good luck.
  • Options
    ^Congratulations!!!! It's quite an achievement. Where did you find the preparation exams? Do you mean practice exams? I've done one from here and one from another site(total 80 questions).
  • Options
    estergonestergon Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you.

I have only one Practise exam book. And I used whatever I found on internet.

I also used Meyer's book for studying.

BTW, You Tube is great, I found so many good videos about DNS, VPN etc.

Get used to with this real-life kind of questions, and you will pass.
  • Options
    SnackyJSnackyJ Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It sounds like you want to get the test "over with" and that just sounds like a recipe for failure to me.

Take the test when you're ready. What's the point if you take it, then fail, then have to pay to take it again.

Who cares if you know people who've passed? They aren't paying for your test. They aren't the ones who will get you a job.

What matters is taking care of your personal life and making sure that you can dedicate time for yourself to sit down and learn the material.

Unless you absolutely NEED to obtain this to secure a job (in waiting); I would study and let the level of studying and understanding dictate when you're ready.
  • Options
    CJWelch89CJWelch89 Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Manishagtc, I just managed to pass the first half of the A+ today and have been studying non stop for the Network+ and Security+ on top of the A+ over the last 3 months.

I used a combination of the Mike Meyers books, 'Eli the computer guy' YouTube videos, CBT nuggets, Professor Messer clips as well as the Boson ExSim practice exam software. I also literally covered every light switch, door handle, mirror, car dash, boot etc. with port numbers, acronyms, questions I repeatedly fail etc.. Once you think you know all the post-it notes off by heart, rip em down and put more up that you don't.

Also rip out/copy the glossary/index of your certification books and give them to your partner, ask them to ask you to explain anything they throw at you off that list, it will really help drill home some of the information.

My method was the same day in day out - consistency; read a chapter/topic, watch the corresponding CBT nugget, YouTube clip, Professor Messer then do the questions in the book or do the practice test, or even better get your girlfriend to get the flashcards out and rack your brain for a few minutes. Rinse and repeat. Do not move onto the next topic until you have nailed the one you're on. Also, it helps to write down notes as you learn, even if you're not going to read those notes, the actual action of taking notes activates another way of learning in your brain. I never read my notes but I write a ton of them.

Most importantly imho, just book the test, go ahead and book it. You will have a deadline, it will stop you procrastinating as the looming exam will ever be present in your mind as oppose to it just being 'oh I must book that exam soon' or 'just a couple weeks more study and i'll be ready'. Book it.

I hope this helps.
  • Options
    SnackyJ wrote: »
    It sounds like you want to get the test "over with" and that just sounds like a recipe for failure to me.

Take the test when you're ready. What's the point if you take it, then fail, then have to pay to take it again.

Who cares if you know people who've passed? They aren't paying for your test. They aren't the ones who will get you a job.

What matters is taking care of your personal life and making sure that you can dedicate time for yourself to sit down and learn the material.

Unless you absolutely NEED to obtain this to secure a job (in waiting); I would study and let the level of studying and understanding dictate when you're ready.

You're right. Whatever personal problem I might have had is done with and over, i'm free of it now, thank God. I don't need to rush to get the test over with because taking my time will mean I would actually be certified when I pass it and have a positive result of totally mastering a field of study I love. It would be a waste of money for me to rush it.

Thanks SnackyJ and everybody else, including CJWelch89 for the well thought out responses. I appreciate it,needed them and the motivation, and seriously God(if you believe in it) bless you *hugs*,and bring you lots of success in the future.