Options

Best CCNP ROUTE lab book/site/etc?

OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
So I did buy the CCNP ROUTE simplified since I heard such good things about it (And I can't stand the dryness of the OCG lol). Will the labs in the back of the book suffice or is it recommended to use more than just those? If anyone's curious, I'm not necessarily doing this to get the cert just yet (As I still have one class to finish my AAS and wanna finish the NA Sec first) but in my work center, we are doing an upgrade to version 15 and wanted to get my hands dirty with the advanced stuff (And I was extremely curious what the variance command was used for since I saw it in one of the config upgrades).
:study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []

Comments

• Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    all | Labs alot of good labs here.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    Hi OfWorlfAndMan, from my experience I have found the Route Simplified book excellent! Not to sure on the labs, but I must agree the OCG is very dry! :)
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The simplified book is fantastic for labbing. Take advantage of the examples they give you on each discussion topic as you read each chapter. I personally wrote in special notes to come back and lab those subjects in the book. I have about 200 pages doggy-eared in my book indicating a place to come back and lab. The back of the book is great too however it does touch on some more advanced areas that are not covered in Route but always helpful to learn.

I'd also recommend the Student Lab Manual (SLM) which is also free.

I suplimented some labbing too with GNS3 Vault videos online on youtube. You can type in almost any subject to lab in youtube and can stuble upon a step by step tutorial by somebody. When I first began studying I labbed scenarios from CBT nuggest videos in a follow-along method.

Don't limit your physical resources to 1 book either. I suggest getting the Foundation Learning Guide (FLG) book and practice the same lab concepts as explained in that book.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I believe you can get an "official" lab book, free and legally. Let me try to find the link. Will update once I do.

Update:

Found one of the previous threads regarding the lab books:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp/71180-ccnp-route-lab-manual-cisco-academy.html
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone. Bermovick that's awesome! I'm really excited to check that out, especially since the one that I have in CCNP route simplified is a giant all-in-one lab. A little overwhelming for me initially, but I'm just starting out, and most of my experience is in multilayer switching. Wanna get this outta the way first so the easier part comes next!
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []