Which Server 2008 Cert to go for?

AdrianITAdrianIT Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I did a 70-640 course last April, with it being almost a year since the course I'm aware that some server 2008 are expiring soon and I'm still yet to take the exam. TBH it seems like I'm lacking the areas of the 'by-the-book' methods although I've managed to successfully update all my servers at work to 2008 R2 (and even a 2012 D as a Hyper-V).

Is it worth still looking into this cert (feel i may have to whip out the old books) or is there a different one that is still applies in 2012?

I'm hoping to head toward my MCITP
\\2015: [x]ITIL [x]Become a dad [x]Move out my parents house! :)
\\2016: [ ]70-410 [ ]70-411 [ ]70-412 [ ]Sec+ [ ]CISSP

Comments

• gibbers82gibbers82 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Im planning to do the 640,642 and 646 to get the 2008 MCSA then take the 70-417 to update it to 2012 MCSA..

Hope this info helps.
  • LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Server 2008 R2 isn't going anywhere. Even if MS stops supporting the product it is a VERY solid server OS which the majority of companies are running. I do not believe there are plans to retired it anytime soon (mainstreem support will end in 2015 Microsoft Product Lifecycle Search).

Personally, if you CAN study and take the 70-640 exam before fall then i would do that. If you don't feel it's realistic to finish this exam by the end of the year you should look into server 2012 IMO.

MCITP is expiring in a month, i doubt you will be able to complete the 5 exams required for the title within that timeline. MCSA and MCSE are still available though and can be taken within the next year in a half or so before the new 2012 material becomes mainstream.
  • blacksheepblacksheep Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    gibbers82 wrote: »
    Im planning to do the 640,642 and 646 to get the 2008 MCSA then take the 70-417 to update it to 2012 MCSA..

Hope this info helps.

Same here
  • Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    gibbers82 wrote: »

Hope this info helps.

Same here dude!
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    ditto - I'm taking the 70-640 on Friday after studying for it and reading three books over the past 6 months. I work in a 2008 R2 single site domain 24/7 at work for +750 users in 3 sites but one domain so I think I'm just paranoid with the studying. I'm taking it on Friday to gauge how I'm doing, I pass awesome, if not it's just a test I'll re-take it.

But I'm going 70-640, Security + (to get it over with), 70-642, Project + and then 70-646 (hopefully get MCSA by then) and then CCNA. these are my goals for the year.

yes I'm all over the place but some days I'm fiddling with Cisco switches and lab, other days I'm in my TZ 210 Sonicwall at home and other days I'm playing with my dual i7-2600k 64 GB of memory custom tower with 12 instance of VMware 5.1 installed on it for testing :P - I just can't focus! - but I love it all....
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Same here dude!

Same here as well. Taking the 70-640 tomorrow. I just have to study a bit more tonight on ADRMS, ADFS and ADCS as they are my weaknesses, we'll see how it goes. The worst that can happen is that I fail, study more and go at it again. Thanks to the free second shot voucher :) But of course it would be nice to get it over with tomorrow.
  • gibbers82gibbers82 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Same here as well. Taking the 70-640 tomorrow. I just have to study a bit more tonight on ADRMS, ADFS and ADCS as they are my weaknesses, we'll see how it goes. The worst that can happen is that I fail, study more and go at it again. Thanks to the free second shot voucher :) But of course it would be nice to get it over with tomorrow.

Exactly, thats a good attitude... keep going till you pass it !

Good luck
  • BackToSchoolBackToSchool Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Same here, planning to do Win2008R2 MCSA and update to Win2012 with 70-417. However had a meeting this morning with some more senior engineers and they are all planning to skip Win2008R2 and go straight to the full Win2012 certification. Did make me stop and think but I think I'll still do Win2008R2.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm planning to do the same thing. I waited to long to update 2003 to 2008, so I aim to do the exams for MCSA 2008 and then upgrade to MCSA 2012.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...