I'm taking Network+ in two hours, and I just passed Sec+ three hours ago TODAY!

geokelleygeokelley Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I have been self teaching myself computer and IT certifications.
I passed A+ on 2/24.

I am taking network + today at 3.

I got really really cocky and scheduled security + today also! The third of the entry level triad.

To make it more crazy, I only started security plus training on Sunday. I read Darrill Gibson's book in two days and took the test this morning. I passed. I feel freakin awesome.

Network+ to be conquered this afternoon

Bottom line. I now have three certs which recommend a total of two years experience in both network and security. And I did them in three months, completely teaching myself, with the birth of a child in this frame. I am so pumped.

I'm 50 changing careers. And I start a temp job tomorrow morning at 8, a 30 day contract. LOL, it has nothing to do with the certs, it is for assisting database administration with sql, excel and access. Which I was a financial analyst in a past life, and I did some data mining in grad school. So if I like it, and they like me, I'll go in that direction and get a database cert, LOL.

I've been without a job for 9 months, with my wife supporting me. Thank God she's a physician. I've got three masters, in finance, poli sci and education, the last one earned to teach in an inner city public school in Nashville last year, teaching Algebra to kids that don't want to learn. After we got pregnant, I decided to pursue my dream, a tech job, money be damned. I am weird, no doubt, but i love taking the certs for the challenge and just for the sake of learning them. I've learned so much and I'm going to continue to learn. I'm getting every damn cert I can get, and I will never be without a job again.

And let me brag a bit...I finished the A+ and Sec+ exams all under thirty minutes each.
icon_cheers.gif

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Maybe you can squeeze in CTT+ and Server +! :) Gratz!
  • geokelleygeokelley Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ha ha, next on the agenda, provided that I don't decide to do database, CCNET.

Here's how I learn (as a former teacher and perpetual student, I feel qualified to speak on this subject :) )

I have to know the big picture and concepts before I can absorb even the simplest tasks.

So, when I took A+, I did not read the chapters in the book or really watch any video on Networking, or Operating systems. I bought the Network + book, and read several chapters in it. I also brought a Windows 7 inside and out book and the cert guid for MCTS 70-680, installng OS. By reading those, I understood those portions with much more clarity. Then, when I finished A+ I was approximately 40% finished with Networking +.

Fast forward to Network +, I bought a book on Cisco CCENT/CCNA certification, and tried to read everything that mapped over, and as much as I could understand of the new stuff. I did the same thing with the Sec+ book.

I Think I can short time the studying for CCNET. That's my next goal.
  • neo9006neo9006 Member Posts: 195
    Cool pass your brain over to the rest of geokelley, that is awesome, I need to do that as well and maybe I can land a entry level job.
    BAAS - Web and Media Design
    Working on A+
  • SnackyJSnackyJ Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    geokelley wrote: »

So, when I took A+, I did not read the chapters in the book or really watch any video on Networking, or Operating systems. I bought the Network + book, and read several chapters in it. I also brought a Windows 7 inside and out book and the cert guid for MCTS 70-680, installng OS. By reading those, I understood those portions with much more clarity. Then, when I finished A+ I was approximately 40% finished with Networking +.

Fast forward to Network +, I bought a book on Cisco CCENT/CCNA certification, and tried to read everything that mapped over, and as much as I could understand of the new stuff. I did the same thing with the Sec+ book.

I Think I can short time the studying for CCNET. That's my next goal.

Interesting. I would have thought that reading a Network + book for the A+ would be overkill. But in a certain way, it makes sense.

In any case good luck with the CCENT. I've read it's a lot like the N+ so I'm sure you'll pass easily. However the CCNA, should require some actual hands-on time with equipment/simulators, or at least that's what I've heard.
  • BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats, I decided last week to just go ahead and schedule my Net+ and Sec+ for next month. It's a bit more then a few days, but I'm already confident on the Net+ after less then a week. Another week on it, then 2 on Sec+ and I'm hoping to have a good day in April.