A+ Certified!

SnackyJSnackyJ Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
801: 852
802: 813

Just a little background: Computers have always been a hobby of mine for over 20+ years now (I'm 32), and it was about 5 years ago when I actually started working with computers in a professional setting. I have put in extra time to help out around campus in addition to my regular "office job" duties.

Over those years I've been exposed to a lot of things and have had very cool co-workers/friends who were Field Technicians, who helped me know what I currently know; Working within a domain, troubleshooting PCs, Laptops, phones etc.

I've been self taught and learned on the job (which I'm thankful for) and this year have become a temporary Field Tech for those who go out on extended leave. I'm hoping to get a full time tech position in the near future.

Getting the A+ was kind of a validation of what I knew I know. Having an unrelated BA, and no other "proof" that I know what I'm doing, getting the A+ kinda "proves" (at least to me) that I do.

----

Preparation:

The Exam Cram with the included practice test and Professor Messer videos were great preparation and really my only means of study. I again, have the 500+ hours of experience so YMMV.

I did learn a bit from the books and videos and I can say that I wouldn't have passed without studying. I studied for about 2 months 3-4 hours a day. It consisted of reading, taking some notes (not many, and I don't do flash cards) and taking practice tests.

A majority of my time was spending taking the practice tests and looking over the areas I was weak. For me, it was Windows and commands (knowing all of the switches for each command) and knowing where things are within Windows. I know where things like the "Windows Update" are visually, but when it looks like Start > Control Panel > Windows Update ...my brain just hurts.

---

Testing Experience:

Obviously I'm not going into detail of what is on the test, but I will say that the process at the testing center was as enjoyable as it could be. The testing center was clean and nice. The girl at the front desk was nice and helpful. I got there about 20 minutes before my test started and it wasn't crowded despite it being a Saturday.

I signed a couple of things and I placed my belongings into a lock box and I was given a couple dry-erase sheets.

I would suggest bringing earplugs, and eating something before the test; especially if you take more than one test a day. (I did neither and wish I had)

I hadn't took a test that "mattered" for about 10 years so I was kinda nervous/excited. During the test I felt unsure on how I did; I thought I barely passed but for the most part that was all in my head.

Yes, there are simulations and I would suggest that you get hands-on experience with as many of the CompTIA objectives as you can. This will also help you out on the multiple choice as well.

Also as some other posters on here have alluded to, some of the questions can be poorly worded, and some of the answers are confusing as well. For the most part the test is straightforward, but these few questions can unintentionally mess with you.
I just "flagged" them and answered them at the end. When I skipped them, I actually saw the answer more clearly the second time around. As for the others, I had to make an educated guess. All in all these types of situations were rare and if you know the content, they weren't a big deal.

After the 801, I took a 5-10 minute break and they let me take the 802 right after, which was nice.

---

What's next:

Now I'm studying for the N+ and hope to take that within the next couple of months. Longer term goals are MCSA: Windows Server 2012, CCENT/CCNA and Security+ (Maybe Linux+) sometime next year. I'm still torn if I want to go down the Server route, or Networking route so I'll have to see what path I enjoy more. So far I've been excited for the N+ because I only really have surface level (A+) knowledge about networks. I'm using the Mike Meyers book currently and I like how he goes into detail about the history of networks. It can be a bit fragmented, but he keeps it relatively simple and so far it's a fun read.

----

I won't answer questions about the content of the test, but if any of you have any other questions I'll be happy to try and answer them.

Comments

• shyguyITshyguyIT Member Posts: 380
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif
    2017 Goals:
    Route[X], Switch [], TSHOOT[]
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif

Good luck on MCSA/CCNA
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!! Not trying to persuade you in anyway, pursue your CCNA in 2 parts. Or take your Network+ then the combined CCNA exam (200-120).
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Congratulations!
    Nice work.
    I would second the above comment about doing CCNA in two parts.
    I would do that whether you do Net+ first or not.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @SharkDiver: Yep totally agree!! I found it easier to take in two parts :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • 10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • SnackyJSnackyJ Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks all!

Yeah I plan on taking the CCNA in two parts, when the time comes.

I have a buddy who lent me a couple routers and CCNA books, so I'm excited for that.

But right now I'm still a n00b, so I'm just taking it slow with the N+.
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • rhtrht Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!

These are some good results, should be good motivation for the CCNA but it should be much tougher.

I did the Network+ exam but i didn't enjoy it very much so i skipped CCNA and started on Microsoft Exams. Maybe because it was too theoretical, I know the CCNA is more practical and u need to learn IOS so it should be more enjoyable i guess.

Good Luck anyway :)
  • r3dstarr3dstar Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good job! I used WGU's included Testout software. It worked great for me ;)
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Good Work! Congrats and good luck on your Net+