Is shon Harris AIOLI 5th edition too old?

top_hattop_hat Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Does anyone know the difference between the 6th and 5th?

Comments

• TheProfezzorTheProfezzor Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you are trying to prepare for the CISSP, you should not be using the 5th edition. A number of topics that were covered in the 5th edition have been dropped in the 6th edition and new topics like cloud, have been added to it. I have 4th, 5th and 6th edition and all three of them vary from each other.
    OSCP: Loading . . .
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If you are trying to prepare for the CISSP, you should not be using the 5th edition. A number of topics that were covered in the 5th edition have been dropped in the 6th edition and new topics like cloud, have been added to it. I have 4th, 5th and 6th edition and all three of them vary from each other.
    Agreed, but it's still not a bad resource for many core concepts and fundamentals. Use it if it's all you have, if you have access the the 6th ed, use it instead.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • teancum144teancum144 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with the comments that the 5th edition may not be your best resource. I read the first 750 pages of the Shon Harris AIO book (6th edition) and am now reading the Official Guide (OG). While I plan to finish both, I'm finding that the 6th edition AIO book covers a lot of information that is not even mentioned in the OG. I suspect the extra topics covered in the AIO, but not covered in the OG will not be tested in the exam. While I believe it is good to study many sources to improve one's understanding, I plan to focus on the OG for material covered on the exam.
    If you like my comments or questions, you can show appreciation by clicking on the reputation badge/star icon near the lower left of my post. :D
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Just realize that the OIG CISSP CBK is use as a primary reference for actually creating CISSP exam items while Harris' materials are not used at all. Look at the CISSP CIB for more references to "offical" study material for the CISSP.
  • philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    Do yourself a favor read the Eric Conrad books and memorize this PDF document. I read Shon's book and could feel it sapping the remnants of brain matter from my head...

http://www.kilala.nl/Sysadmin/Images/CISSP_Summary_V1.1.pdf

That mixed with a little experience will produce a pass the exam is actually fairly easy.

-Phil