Options

Network+ Prepping question

aolishaolish Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all, I'm just about to buy a book on Net+ on amazon and have a question that I would like to ask on how to best prepare for the exam. Unfortunately I have very little networking experience and always have to depend on the auto configuration of routers and switches to connect my network together whenever I buy a new router or switch. I understand the very basic principles of networking but that is about it.

My question is I do know that networking is an extremely complex and confusing thing to study for (in my opinion at least) and that the Net+ absolutely requires you to have hands-on experience with this stuff. I think most of you know that networking is hard to grasp just by reading the material. My question is how can I best simulate a networking environment without having to mess up my current setup? Is it possible if I can buy another router and hook it up to a modem and just play from there? Will I somehow mess up my own network in some way by doing it like this or is there another way in going about in doing this.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I have almost zero clue on how to go about in doing this safely.

Comments

• Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    I ended up buying some switches, routers and a firewall to pass Cisco exams, but I didn't have access to anything when I took the Network+.

The Net+ is more theoretical. I think you can learn everything you need just from reading a good Net+ book.
  • Options
    jhntbrightjhntbright Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For Net+ all you need is choose and read book like all in one network+ by Mike Myers, Network+ by Todd Lammle and exam cram, etc. to do practice question on the book, buy practice test passport and watch free Net+ video on you tube or Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Certification Training and use commands like ipconfig, netstat, ping etc. on windows for practicing. You do not need to have or buy router/switch also simulation software like like studying Cisco ccna.
  • Options
    aolishaolish Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Appreciate the replies. I went ahead and ordered the Mike Meyers Network+ book. If I need some help I guess I can ask for advice here as well as research it online. icon_study.gif