Help figuring out what I am working with

--chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
I am working for an organization that has deployed Citrix software, but I am not certain what certification will help me work on the desktops I see daily and also move up in the company. I want to ask my boss, but for a few reasons its just not appropriate at this time (I am a Dell contractor, as such my focus should be on just the hardware; The sooner I move up/out of this position the sooner he has to replace me; the people who do know the most about this subject are off site and down the road about 10 miles). Hes a nice guy and I am certain he would help all he can, but I am too new and I don't want him to think I am already planning my "escape" from desktop.

With that said, here is what I see daily:
Citrix Web Client
Citrix receiver on mobile/VPN users

I realize there must be some back end stuff here like several servers but I don't see how the whole "citrix system" works together and what parts support what apps, how apps are managed (how can they get around per user licenses?), etc...

Any help, books, sites....I appreciate it all.

Comments

• ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    both are client software. Citrix Web Client works with Citrix Web Interface servers that run on top of IIS to give access to Citrix published resources (application, terminal server destops, VDI desktops). Citrix Receiver has more features. With those two clients you could be using Citrix XenApp or Citrix Desktop. Citrix XenApp v6.5 runs on top of Windows 2008 R2 terminal servers and adds a lot of features, management tools, etc. with XenApp users can access Published applications and terminal server desktops. Citrix XenDesktop is a VDI solutions. users are given access to their own virtual machine running Windows XP, or Windows 7, etc. If the user gets published Apps, then it is XenApp. If a user gets a desktop, see if you can see the My computer properties and check the version of the OS.

With the release of XenDesktop 7, XenApp become a service / feature of XenDesktop, but I was recently told the Citrix is bringing back the stand alone XenApp product and XenApp 7.5 will be coming out for windows server 2012 r2.

Edit:

"how can they get around per user licenses?" --> you don't. Still have to buy app licenses.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Your explanation helps a lot. We have thin/zero clients and thick clients in the field. The thin/zeros must be using the VDI set? The thicks must be using XenApp because they use normal OS installs, but the web client "Delivers" (I might be using the wrong terminology) app icons to the desktop. If you shut down the web client, those app icons drop off the desktop. Start the client back up, apps come back.

So its likely we are using both XenApp servers and XenDesktop servers, which would point to a CCA-AD as a starting point for certification/knowledge?
    If you are getting a full desktop it could be a XenApp published desktop or a XenDesktop VDI. CCA-AD would be the place to start, but try to figure out what version you are running.
    Andy

I actually ran into the Desktop engineer yesterday, and he mentioned we are rolling out a new Citrix version that will have an "app store" where users can select the apps they want to have appear on their desktops (avoiding the calls about "why do I have all these apps I dont use?") as well as "VDI". I I know for certain at this point, we are not using citrix for VDI. If I see him again today Ill ask him what version of each software we are on/going too.
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Citrix is a diverse world with a host of different products, as you're finding. If you want to see what's behind an enterprise Citrix deployment I highly recommend the XenDesktop 7 courses by Pluralsight. They have 20+ hours of content on the lastest Citrix products and you can buy a subscription to their library for $29/month.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
    @--chris--

"app store" sound like it could be StoreFront which is what replaced Web Interface. And if you are going to VDI now, probably XenDesktop 7.
    Andy

Thanks for the heads up on Pluralsight's offerings...its going on my list.

Thanks again Andy! You have helped define my goal!
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    You might also want to peruse the recently released blueprint documents for XenApp/XenDesktop 7.5 here:

XenApp 7.5 and XenDesktop 7.5 Blueprints Now Available | Citrix Blogs

They don't go into great detail, but are good as a high level introduction to the various components of a Citrix environment and how they work together to deliver apps and desktops.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    He is rolling out XenDesktop 7
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.