Network+ Prepping question

aolishaolish Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all, I'm just about to buy a book on Net+ on amazon and have a question that I would like to ask on how to best prepare for the exam. Unfortunately I have very little networking experience and always have to depend on the auto configuration of routers and switches to connect my network together whenever I buy a new router or switch. I understand the very basic principles of networking but that is about it.

My question is I do know that networking is an extremely complex and confusing thing to study for (in my opinion at least) and that the Net+ absolutely requires you to have hands-on experience with this stuff. I think most of you know that networking is hard to grasp just by reading the material. My question is how can I best simulate a networking environment without having to mess up my current setup? Is it possible if I can buy another router and hook it up to a modem and just play from there? Will I somehow mess up my own network in some way by doing it like this or is there another way in going about in doing this.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I have almost zero clue on how to go about in doing this safely.

Comments