Octal cable for Cisco Devices.

MrPuzzlezMrPuzzlez Member Posts: 89 ■□□□□□□□□□
Okay, so I'm playing around in Packet Tracer and I see a green type of connection called an "Octal" cable. With this cable you can connect an Access Server to several different Cisco devices so that you can configure them without plugging and unplugging the powder blue console cable over and over again.

My real question is, from a router with an installed Octal connector at the end of it, how do you fully utilize it?icon_confused.gif:

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What do you mean by fully utilize it?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • MrPuzzlezMrPuzzlez Member Posts: 89 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I guess what I'm saying is how do you use it, and what commands do you type to access the Cisco end devices through the access server?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The exact commands to configure it can be found with a google search, it's not that difficult really.

How it works is reverse telnet. You can telnet to the device and then reverse telnet out to the devices console you want to connect to. You can also just telnet directly to the line you want using the port. Usually it will be port 2001 for the first cable and so on.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Cool! Actually I just did a "show line" command and it showed me EIGHT "TTY"s, so if i keep feeling my way through it, I'll get it!:D
    Although I'm not sure why it's TTY 2-90 instead of 0-7...
    Okay, I get it now! Thanks!!