GNS3 new version Video

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
For people signed up to the early bird or just interested how its coming along.

https://gns3.crowdhoster.com/become-an-early-release-member

The new software looks good, adding in the CISCO IOU support means this will be one tool that you can emulate a complete network, firewall, routers, switches, servers and clients. (assuming you can get legitment images and OS software)

I have been holding of on the TSHOOT as I wanted something to play with when i get my hands on it. From the video it looks like the money so far has been put to good use :) Wish this had been around when I was starting out in IT.
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I saw this video yesterday and am really impressed. I can't wait to get my hands on it!
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Even better, its around when IM starting out in IT! Glad I pitched in, this looks awesome!
  • Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    It looks pretty good. Hopefully they release it soon.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Dieg0M wrote: »
    It looks pretty good. Hopefully they release it soon.

That will depend if you signed up to the early bird or not?
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    The new software looks good, adding in the CISCO IOU support means this will be one tool that you can emulate a complete network, firewall, routers, switches, servers and clients. (assuming you can get legitment images and OS software).

There are two problems with that:

1) IOU doesn't support much beyond VLANs and STP. Spanning-tree support seems fairly completely though and it's a good tool for learning that particular protocol. It doesn't support most security features, QoS, or the FHRPs, and probably many other things that I'm not aware of. This could change if/when Cisco releases the virtual switch that they plan on using for the CCIE RS v5 lab. Until then, IOU isn't even enough for CCNP Switch, let alone the CCIE.

2) You can't get a licence for IOU. That's either a deal breaker or a non-issue depending on who you are. For personal use it probably doesn't matter to most people.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    To be honest I haven't played with IOU L2 much beyond installing it and putting a cable between two switches. But Cisco are developing it constantly so the feature set is only likely to improve going forward.

But I think that's missing the point, GNS3 allows you to manage may different emulation platforms under a single interface (virtualbox, dynampis, Qemu). Now some of these are still not complete (IOU being a good example). But these will develop, and already you can build up network for proof of concept. If you want to Play with QOS or FHRP then run a router image. But I don't know any other platform that you can run Checkpoint, juniper, Cisco, Linux, Microsoft and many others in a click and drag topology with easy access to packet capture. I got rid of my physical lab years ago.
  • deth1kdeth1k Member Posts: 312
    fredrikjj wrote: »
    There are two problems with that:

1) IOU doesn't support much beyond VLANs and STP. Spanning-tree support seems fairly completely though and it's a good tool for learning that particular protocol. It doesn't support most security features, QoS, or the FHRPs, and probably many other things that I'm not aware of. This could change if/when Cisco releases the virtual switch that they plan on using for the CCIE RS v5 lab. Until then, IOU isn't even enough for CCNP Switch, let alone the CCIE.

2) You can't get a licence for IOU. That's either a deal breaker or a non-issue depending on who you are. For personal use it probably doesn't matter to most people.

Ermmm, I think you need to update your IOU/IOL IOS collection ;) as above statement isn't true (might of been years ago. There's no support for QinQ / QoS for L2 but other than that it's awesome, hence why it will be in v5 lab.