Options

eLearnSecurity Student v2 course for $99 offer

ZoovashZoovash Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
This course would probably be skipped by most of us, but for $99 it's a good deal for people just starting out in the field.
Promotion ends on 31 March.

https://www.elearnsecurity.com/lp/pts-launch.php

Comments

• Options
    coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Man, I barely got the email before I signed up! I was about to post the news here but you beat me to it :)
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!
  • Options
    JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hmm sounds interesting. But is it just a basic training for beginners or it will help for an eLearn certification? Either way, I might just go ahead and buy it:D
  • Options
    From my understanding is just basic stuff, I signed up earlier today and haven't gone through it yet. It's supposed to cover the pre-requisites for the Professional course ( eCPPT ).
  • Options
    5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For $99 I definitely think this is worth it. Thanks for the post!
  • Options
    chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    Sorry for my ignorance and lack of info, but I have never heard of elearnsecurity before, is it reputable?
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think it may eventually become considered the new CEH. That's just my opinion :) They are new but quickly coming respected. There are several reviews on https://www.ethicalhacker.net/.
  • Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think it may eventually become considered the new CEH.

I somewhat agree with you, but not entirely. I feel like the only reason CEH has gotten the traction it has in the past few years is because of the DOD's adoption of it with 8570. Unfortunately...eLearn has the odds stacked against them for ever taking a spot in the DOD lineup...because it is not hosted in the US (the same reason Offensive Security has secured a spot either). That being said...I feel like both eLearn and OffSec are already more reputable on the private side of security.

Having taken both CEH and eLearn (specifically eLearns Web-App cert...eWPT), I can say that the eLearn exam was easily 1000x more challenging and I also got WAY more out of the course.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Interesting ..Looks like you get lifetime access:

Life-time access to course material means that you are free to decide when and for how long to study. The pace is entirely up to you.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    Interesting ..Looks like you get lifetime access:

Life-time access to course material means that you are free to decide when and for how long to study. The pace is entirely up to you.

I wouldn't be so sure. Look at the fine print. You may be right (I haven't checked), but you might want to double check it. I have "life-time access" to the WAPT training material...but only had a limited window within which I could claim my voucher and take the eWPT exam.
  • Options
    elearnsecurityelearnsecurity Inactive Imported Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello all
    Armando here from eLearnSecurity, just to clarify few points :)
    I wouldn't be so sure. Look at the fine print. You may be right (I haven't checked), but you might want to double check it. I have "life-time access" to the WAPT training material...but only had a limited window within which I could claim my voucher and take the eWPT exam.

The Student course comes with lifetime access and our On-demand lab time. The lab time can be used whenever you want with no activation/expiration.

The exam is another story. With Elite plans we give an Infinity voucher now: basically it never expires. Regular vouchers expire 180 days from purchase.
    Student course however does NOT come with a certification.

I somewhat agree with you, but not entirely. I feel like the only reason CEH has gotten the traction it has in the past few years is because of the DOD's adoption of it with 8570. Unfortunately...eLearn has the odds stacked against them for ever taking a spot in the DOD lineup...because it is not hosted in the US

Check out our website next month. I heard they love italians in the Silicon Valley icon_cool.gif

I'm available for any other clarification you may need.
  • Options
    Hey Armando. Thanks to you and the whole team for an Awesome course icon_thumright.gif.
    Check out our website next month. I heard they love italians in the Silicon Valley icon_cool.gif

No doubt man. Silicon Valley loves you guys. Its the Feds that aren't so keen on you, lol. Or at least they won't approve Vets to throw GI Bill money your way (at least last time I checked). Nonetheless, you've got my support. I'll tell anyone that eLearn was a way better investment of my time and money...compared to CEH (or anything EC-Council has to offer, for that matter).

Keep up the good work.icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    With regards to the March 2014 $99 special, how long can an enrollee defer starting the one month access? For example, can someone purchase the special in March but not begin the course until June?

This course sounds like the makings of a very interesting TechExams.Net blog article, but I can't start another project until early Summer.
  • Options
    5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    With regards to the March 2014 $99 special, how long can an enrollee defer starting the one month access? For example, can someone purchase the special in March but not begin the course until June?

The package is lifetime access to course material and 30 hours of access to Hera - so it looks like you can use it whenever you want to.
  • Options
    For 99$ it's 30 hours of Hera Student Lab. They give an additional 30 minutes for all the time required to establish a VPN connection, so it's 30h30mins total.
    Based on my own lab time and expiration date I'd say it expires 1 year from the purchase date.
    I haven't explored the lab yet, but the course is great so far. Looking forward to finish all the slides and start playing with the lab :D
  • Options
    First of all thanks all for your interest in what we do!
    It's really amazing for us to see how our work can affect careers around the globe.

No doubt man. Silicon Valley loves you guys. Its the Feds that aren't so keen on you, lol. Or at least they won't approve Vets to throw GI Bill money your way (at least last time I checked). Nonetheless, you've got my support. I'll tell anyone that eLearn was a way better investment of my time and money...compared to CEH (or anything EC-Council has to offer, for that matter).
    Ahah thanks a lot. Some of the three letters agencies in USA already fell in love with our Hera Lab. So expect more acceptance in the next month icon_wink.gif

This course sounds like the makings of a very interesting TechExams.Net blog article, but I can't start another project until early Summer.

JD, you can start whenever you want. You are accounted only for the time you use on the lab. If you use 20 minutes, you will have 20 minutes deducted from the 30h (+30 minutes) that we include.
    We put an expiration of 2 years to use this lab time. (No more just 1 year).
    I haven't explored the lab yet, but the course is great so far. Looking forward to finish all the slides and start playing with the lab

Glad to hear that! Our Penetration Testing course Professional (PTP) is the natural continuation to PTS and comes with a 100% practical exam and certification (that is the reason why you all are here right?) .

Keep the questions coming
  • Options
    kanecainkanecain Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just took advantage of this deal. The material is pretty good so far. The only gripe that I have is with the site. Your login password cannot contain spaces or special characters. Just letters and numbers, and you're limited to 20 characters.
    WGU - Bachelors of Science - Information Security
    Start Date: Jan. 1st, 2012
    Courses:
    Done!!!
  • Options
    kanecain wrote: »
    The only gripe that I have is with the site. Your login password cannot contain spaces or special characters. Just letters and numbers, and you're limited to 20 characters.

Really??? You are complaining about a 20 character limit on passwords with a character space of 62 values???? In a perfect world...everyone would allow special characters too...but I think you can probably come up with a secure password.

Lowercase --> 26 character possibilities
    Uppercase --> 26 character possibilities
    Numbers --> 10 character possibilities

That's 62 possible values in 20 different positions. That's 20 to the power of 62 possible combinations...

Do the math -->

That's 4.611686e+80 possibilities

-- or --

461,168,600,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 possibilities...

When you can manage to live brute force my randomly generated 20 character password consisting of only upper-case, lower-case and numbers...come back to complain, lol
  • Options
    **20 years later**

icon_cheers.gif EUREKA!!! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    kanecainkanecain Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    lol. Thanks for the math. I'm just a stickler for special characters in passwords. With the InfoSec role I have today, I teach security awareness to +10,000 employees, and special characters and spaces are something I preach about a lot.
    WGU - Bachelors of Science - Information Security
    Start Date: Jan. 1st, 2012
    Courses:
    Done!!!
  • Options
    cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just picked up the course...I wont' be able to touch it for a while as I am studying for the CISSP but I didn't want to miss out on the deal!
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Just signed up! I had always planned on taking it down the road but obviously couldn't wait.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Signed up for it the day before yesterday, only have had time to set up my VPN credentials and take a quick glance over things, but I plan on digging in pretty deep this weekend. Really awesome deal!
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    LostpacketLostpacket Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just signed up, too good of deal to pass up.

Will be few months before I can get to it though...
  • Options
    datschmodatschmo Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Signed up as well..too good a deal to pass up!
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I decided to get it. It's going to be a while before I have time to start watching.
  • Options
    realPSIrealPSI Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I signed up and plan on starting the course this summer.
  • Options
    diggitlediggitle Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I purchased this deal. It's good so far.
    c colon i net pub dubdubdub root
  • Options
    chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    Signed up too. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    EXPL01TUSEXPL01TUS Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ahah thanks a lot. Some of the three letters agencies in USA already fell in love with our Hera Lab. So expect more acceptance in the next month icon_wink.gif

So, Armando... I saw PTPv3 was announced today, to be released around the time when you're suggesting everyone to check back. Does all of the sly winking about "acceptance" and checking back imply that you might be expecting accreditation? :D
  • Options
    EXPL01TUS wrote: »
    So, Armando... I saw PTPv3 was announced today, to be released around the time when you're suggesting everyone to check back. Does all of the sly winking about "acceptance" and checking back imply that you might be expecting accreditation? :D

We are moving (and working) towards that goal, Ryan. :)

I'd invite anyone to join our webinar on our PTP v3 launch if you are interested to know what's new :
    https://www.elearnsecurity.com/lp/professional_v3_launch.php