My VCAP5-DCA thread... Read on!

Architect192Architect192 Member Posts: 157 ■■■□□□□□□□
After passing the VCAP5-DCD a few weeks ago, I figured I should give a shot at the DCA exam, one step closer to the VCDX. And since VMware decided a few days after I passed the DCD to set an expiry date on VCP, my DCD doesn't count to extend it so....

I decided to build a nested lab, using the 2 servers (whiteboxes) I already have. Tight fit for RAM (16GB) but that'll work.

After reading about Autolab, I decided to try it. Great automation tool to build your lab, however it didn't quite fit my goals. And since I'm in a Powershell/PowerCLI mood these days (doing lots of it at work), I decided to customize it.

I reduced the build to only the servers I need, a virtual router, a virtual storage appliance (FreeNAS), a DC/DHCP/TFTP server, a vCenter server with SQL Express, and 2 hosts. I added the vSphere 5 documents on the NAS, so that when I build the environment, everything is there.

Why am I bothering? Because I'm like that :) And because there's a loftier goal behind it...

A few years ago, I wrote two CCNA lab guides (ICND1/ICND2) to practice labbing for the exam. The became partially obsolete when Cisco updated the exam and I am not in the mood to redo them.

I am however doing the same thing this time for the VCAP5-DCA. Once I pass the exam, the lab guides will be made public, and will be free. I am not reinventing the wheel here, whatever lab exercises I find online, or that I come up with, I will include in the guide. If you have suggestions and want to chip in, let me know!

I am going on vacation for a month (mid-april to mid-may). I am planning to take the exam this summer (probably mid/end june 2014).

The lab guide will be based on the customized autolab version I am making (which will be available to download from my blog).

So that's what the plan is. Now that I made it public, I have to push through or look like a fool :)

Marc
Current: VCAP-DCA/DCD, VCP-DCV2/3/4/5, VCP-NV 6 - CCNP, CCNA Security - MCSE: Server Infrastructure 2012 - ITIL v3 - A+ - Security+
Working on: CCNA Datacenter (2nd exam), Renewing VMware certs...

Comments

• GSXRulesGSXRules Member Posts: 109
    the DCD pass will extend all of your vmware certs 2 years from the day you passed the DCD.

FYI.
  • Architect192Architect192 Member Posts: 157 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not so, since I passed the DCD before they announced the expiration of the VCP... When I check the status on the vmware site, my VCP is expiring in 2015 like everybody else... icon_sad.gif
    Current: VCAP-DCA/DCD, VCP-DCV2/3/4/5, VCP-NV 6 - CCNP, CCNA Security - MCSE: Server Infrastructure 2012 - ITIL v3 - A+ - Security+
  • GSXRulesGSXRules Member Posts: 109
    That is because the system hasn't been updated yet to take VCAP (or multiple VCP) into account for the expiration date.

Whichever is greater: 2 years from date of last VCAP/VCP or March 10, 2015
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think I read that VMware will take VCAPs into consideration 'over the coming months' + whatever that means :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
    I have posted the customized Autolab deployment script for the VCAP-DCA lab (or any other purpose) on my blog (SUBnet.192). As mentioned before, I will start my own studies/practice when I come back mid-may and start writing the lab workbooks for the exam. If some of you want to experiment with the nested lab setup I have shared, give it a try and let me know how it turns out!

Marc
    That was to be expected. Timing is sort of great as I didn't start yet but... Thanks for the heads up :)