Linux+ - study material question again!

greypilgrim08greypilgrim08 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I am an ORACLE certified SOLARIS 10 system administrator and Im looking into switching to Linux. Have had a little bit of experience deploying applications into LINUX but not much of administration.

Planning to start with a LINUX+ certification. Not sure how easy or hard switching will be since I've worked with Solaris.

I see that there are 2 books for the Comptia LINUX+ exam -

1) CompTIA Linux+ Study Guide: Exams LX0-101 and LX0-102 by Roderick W. Smith
2) CompTIA Linux+ Complete Study Guide Authorized Courseware: Exams LX0-101 and LX0-102 by Roderick W. Smith

Would any of you know which would be a better book to buy?

And given my Solaris background should I shoot for LINUX+ or the RHCSA.

Many thanks!

Comments

• sasnimrodsasnimrod Member Posts: 99 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Planning to start with a LINUX+ certification. Not sure how easy or hard switching will be since I've worked with Solaris.

I see that there are 2 books for the Comptia LINUX+ exam -

1) CompTIA Linux+ Study Guide: Exams LX0-101 and LX0-102 by Roderick W. Smith
    2) CompTIA Linux+ Complete Study Guide Authorized Courseware: Exams LX0-101 and LX0-102 by Roderick W. Smith

Would any of you know which would be a better book to buy?

The books that you listed are the same. The only difference is that the book in the first link that you provided is the second edition of the book. (You can verify by looking at the Publication Dates and Edition No in the provided links).
    And given my Solaris background should I shoot for LINUX+ or the RHCSA.

As for your second question, I'm don't have any background in Solaris but in terms of the difference between Linux+ and RHCSA I think that in general if you do the Linux+ exam, you will know that you have a good background to then proceed to the RHCSA exam.
  • XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    I would shoot for Linux+ because while Solaris and Linux are similiar (for obvious reasons) they do still differ somewhat. You will have an edge though because of your Solaris background.
  • cmetcalf202cmetcalf202 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree. Linuxacademy.com is great. I've read the Sybex book and it doesn't come close to the presentation of material from linuxacademy.com. With the monthly subscription you can download the notes for each video and more. The lab and practice exams are the best. Highly recommend!
  • ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    I agree. Linuxacademy.com is great. I've read the Sybex book and it doesn't come close to the presentation of material from linuxacademy.com. With the monthly subscription you can download the notes for each video and more. The lab and practice exams are the best. Highly recommend!

+1 for Linux Academy, great learning site.
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
    I'll second what other have said about linuxacademy.com, it's a great resource for learning the material that's required for the Linux+ exam.

Recently, I've come across the 'Urban Penguin' while searching for additional information on a required topic for the second part of the Linux+ exam. The site provides lots of free content on Youtube for the LPIC -1 / Linux+ exam. I believe that this resource was already mentioned on this forum, but I'm mentioning it again for the benefit of those who may have not yet heard about it. Link is below:

LPIC-1
  • greypilgrim08greypilgrim08 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you so much for your replies and all the information!

Just joined Linux Academy and its just awesome! icon_cheers.gif
  • southsouth Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I joined LinuxAcademy about two months ago and recently passed the 101 with a score of 700. I felt like the majority of the books and videos I had been using were either poorly constructed or dated. I definitely feel like LinuxAcademy helped me pass the test. If you memorize the notes and study guide you will be fine for the test. Good luck with the 101
  • SixtyCycleSixtyCycle Member Posts: 111
    Is it better to learn with LinuxAcademy than the Jason Eckert book? The book (which I have) uses an older version of Fedora for the exercises. I would think it shouldn't matter as much as learning the core concepts. Anybody has experience from both?
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□

I am always skeptical about recommendation like this from first time posters. However it looks like several people have used the site so hopefully it has some great information.

Good Luck
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I haven't done Linux+ exams yet so I can't answer that, but I'm an ex Solaris guru. I went straight to RHCE. It depends on your experience with Solaris, the transition wasn't hard for me but it took some time.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• TechnologistTechnologist Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi guys,

Just wondering if LinuxAcademy.com is enough to prepare for the Linux+ exam or should I also invest in a text book?.

Cheers.
  • Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Definitely pick up Roderick's book, it was invaluable to me for LX0-101 and have started using it now for part 2.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
    Just wondering if LinuxAcademy.com is enough to prepare for the Linux+ exam or should I also invest in a text book?.

As Kinet1c said, Roderick's book is a worthy addition to your Linux+ preparation material. However I think that the material available on linuxacademy.com is enough to pass both exams. I feel that Roderick's book complements nicely the material on the linux academy website.

Just make sure that you cover the notes for each section, and focus on the essential reading material that is listed on the website for each exam.

For further video material you can have a look at TheUrbanPenguin Linux Training or do the CBT nuggets Linux+ course as well if you don't mind the cost.
  • TechnologistTechnologist Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated :)