vCOps Multisite Design question

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am in the middle of designing a DC upgrade and wanted to ask about a operations manager multisite configuration as i have not used it previously. I have two Data Centres with a vCentre in each using linked mode. SRM will be used to failover from the protected site to the recovery site.

From a the documentation, it looks like you would install a single vCOps instance and configure it to register with both vCentres in linked mode to provide full visibility from a single dashboard. Then i assume you would use SRM to bring up the recovered VM in the event of a DR scenario. But i just wanted confirmation of the possible options.

Does any one know the deployment options for operations manager or have experience in this scenario?
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It'll register to both vCenters, just the account you use while installing it needs admin access to the both vCenters. I believe it'll work whether they are in Linked Mode or not or in different domains, but it wont bring any stats over. But you have vCenters in Linked Mode so all should be good.

SRM will be able to recover your VM's provided you have replication and SRM setup correctly. Have you done a test run or two, strongly recommended if you havent! VM networking is a serious gotcha when people invoke DR plans, for real or for tests.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    It'll register to both vCenters, just the account you use while installing it needs admin access to the both vCenters. I believe it'll work whether they are in Linked Mode or not or in different domains, but it wont bring any stats over. But you have vCenters in Linked Mode so all should be good.

SRM will be able to recover your VM's provided you have replication and SRM setup correctly. Have you done a test run or two, strongly recommended if you havent! VM networking is a serious gotcha when people invoke DR plans, for real or for tests.

Hey Ess,

Thanks for confirming my thoughts mate.

This is a greenfield site so testing will be performed once the engineers etc have implemented the solution.

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good stuff bud! This should be good experience for ya.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    Good stuff bud! This should be good experience for ya.

Indeed. Good timing as i am currently in the Stanly class!