Options

Need some Help

mralhashim83mralhashim83 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I have been asked by my management to apply for CISSP Training and certification but I come to know that it’s required five years’ experience in information security. I’m actually working on Network and communication designing and I’m cisco CCNP certified. Also I have attended a full training for MCSE and RHCT.

I tried to explain the requirement to the manager but it’s difficult to argue on that as it will impact the performance appraisal.

Is there chance to pass this exam without having the proper experience?

How long does it take to be well preparing for the Exam?

What is the procedure for the experience verification?

Thanks for help.

Comments

• Options
    vasyvasyvasyvasy Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey, and welcome
    You can attend the CISSP exam without any relevant experience.
    If you pass, you will become an CISSP (ISC)2 Associate and when you get the experience under your belt just apply for the "full title"
    You can read more here

Btw, the 5 years experience is required in only 2 of the 10 domains so you can squeeze in your Telecom/Network experience
    Even then, you can waive a year on some special circumstances
    You can read more here

In my opinion, you should go and test your chances if they are willing to spend the bucks
    With a period of heavy training and studying, of course

Any test is doable after all, given enough time and money :)
    Cheers!
  • Options
    sojournsojourn Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's a tough exam, but your experience may help. Telecoms & Networking is a sizeable (arguably the largest) portion of the exam, so if you're already knowledgable about what is covered in that section, then that will help.

You'd want to take at least a few months of studying. The content of the CBK isn't difficult per se, it's not very deep, there's just LOADS to learn across very broad and disparate topics. That's where the challenge is.

If they're paying, is that a "We will pay for your exam no matter what" or "We will pay for your exam but only if you pass" ?
  • Options
    mralhashim83mralhashim83 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you very much. Appreciate your kind support.

They will pay for the exam no matter what but I'm sure in case of fail there will be impacted in the performance appraisal.
  • Options
    Amurray22Amurray22 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Any chance your job would pay for you to get training for the test? There seems to be some good options available both in person and online. You should plan to give yourself at least a couple of months to study.

Also, as mentioned above, you may be able to include your current experience for the CISSP requirements. If you look at the topics in the domains you may find subjects that you have work experience in. as an example, do you have to meet any regional standards for your work (Legal & Compliance domain) or if you plan and design networks, does that include planning for disaster recovery (Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery Domain)

I would highly recommend coming back to this forum, lots of good information. It really helped me.

Good luck
    Andy