Passed 2005 exam

BaredorBaredor Member Posts: 99
Since there's so little info out there on this exam, I'll do all I can to give you the rundown.

First off, I think it's a shame that this test is so unpopular - I enjoyed preparing for it and learned a lot (though the amount I learned was probably due my lack of direct high-end hardware experience, ymmv). But I thought it was an excellent thing for me to do to gain entry level server hardware knowledge.

The passing score is 615 out of the usual 100-900 scale. I scored a 689. It's a typical CompTIA exam, meaning there are several frustratingly ambiguous questions. Plan accordingly.

From my exam, I would break down the "what to study" list like this, in approximate order of importance:

-SCSI (including i-SCSI) - know your speeds, width, LUNS, connectors, termination types
-RAID - sit down with a blank paper and list every RAID config (including hybrids) and an explanation of what they are. If you can do this, you're probably fine for the exam, but know about rebuilding arrays and hot swap technologies as well.
-Monitoring agents - SNMP mostly, but a few questions on DMI
-Tape backup - know your types, specs, and compatability
-Those documentation plans that most people roll their eyes at - you'd better be able to list them, or at least pick the steps out of a list
-UPS - make sure you don't overlook studying batteries and power types
-Fibre channel
-Memory - DDR2, Rambus, ECC/Buffered, etc

The rest is just general hardware knowledge, and there's no way to put it more specifically. You just need to be able to diagnose whatever situation they may give you.

Materials used:

CBT Nuggets - Updated 2005 objectives. Mixed on this. I know CBT Nuggets are a favorite here, but I think this package, at least, is extremely over priced for what you get. I don't feel the info I got from it was very value priced at $200; I'd much rather have spent that amount on 4 different books and read them, but umm... there are none. Regardless, they currently have a monopoly on training materials, so if you want a guide through the exam, you have basically no other option until the new exam cram comes out in September.

VNP Exam prep software - This is a selftest program that contains "653" questions for the exam. I worked through the program from 1-653 and got several of the questions twice or more. I'd put the actual number at closer to 550. They're not very good questions, but it did help me somewhat overall, and for $19.99 I would probably say it's worth it, given the lack of any other materials. You can download a demo containing 35 questions on their site.

After working through these materials, I DLed the exam objectives and went through them one by one. If I didn't know much about something, I googled it and read as much as I could. Bout all you can do. Hope this info helps.

Comments

• Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Congrats! Thanks for the review!!! I've been looking over Server+ as a possibility after MCSA.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congrats on the pass!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • 2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    Congrats icon_thumright.gif
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • TURTLEGIRLTURTLEGIRL Member Posts: 361
    CONGRATULATIONS :D IS server just like A+ but advanced?
    If you don't know 24 then you don't know Jack!
  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    congrats...
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • lanehlaneh Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Way to go. In my new job, I'm "expected" to get my Server+, but, like you, had trouble finding avenues of study for the new objectives. Your "short list" helps a lot. Thanks.
    Famous last words of a redneck - "Hey ya'll, watch this!"
  • mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    Congrats....interesting cert...i might consider..hmm
  • DSEDMDSEDM Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree ... this is a very interesting topic of study which will benifit me greatly I feel.

It is too bad there is not more study materials for this exam.
  • milliampmilliamp Member Posts: 135
    Baredor, how much time did you spend preparing for the exam?
  • FijianTribeFijianTribe Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, thanks for the study hints.
  • lalishardalalisharda Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing one more exam
    Thanks for sharing exam info
  • johnnyg5646johnnyg5646 Member Posts: 173
    I'm a little late, but good job! This exam looks difficult! :D
    BS - Computer Science
    MS - Computer Information Systems
  • rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
    Congratulations! Excellent feedback. Posts such as these definitely add to the value of resources at TechExams.
    Working on MCTS:SQL Server 2005 (70-431) & Server+