A + 2006 Cert

violaitorviolaitor Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,
I was going to take my A + cert in a month, and now I saw of the website that they are coming out with a new 2006 exam later this year. so I am wondering if I should take it now or wait till 2006 comes out?
Please let me know what you think or know about it.

Comments

• janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    CompTIA is encouraging all who are studying to take the present exams to go ahead and take them. It is a few months until the revisions take place. So, you have time to get this done and become A+ certified.

Good luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • OpenSourceOpenSource Member Posts: 135
    Just read this. I believe it will help answer your question(s):
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14980

- Joey \m/
  • dubbs112dubbs112 Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    When was the last update for A+? Most of the study material I am using is from 2001.
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    dubbs112 wrote:
    When was the last update for A+? Most of the study material I am using is from 2001.

i remain, he who remains to be....
  • dubbs112dubbs112 Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am using the Meyers 2001 book do you think I need a new book or will this one be enough. I took the practice test before I read any of the information and scored a 75%
  • sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dubbs -

You really should get the updated Meyers book- it covers the 2003 objectives.

Also you should be hitting 95%+ on practice test's.
  • rosant1rosant1 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    for my 2 cents take the 2003, because 1 you are already studying and 2 i think comptia has lost focus with the 2006. I see A+ as a general computer knowledge test, 2006 seems to have 3 different path to take and that it locks you in. I will bet that no one will take the telephone support test unless an employer asks for it. Its silly, like you couldn't do suppport if you take the IT version or what the break down is now. When i was studying i thought the information was a bit dated so i am all for the refresh but the new style is crazy.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    violaitor wrote:
    Hi,
    I was going to take my A + cert in a month, and now I saw of the website that they are coming out with a new 2006 exam later this year. so I am wondering if I should take it now or wait till 2006 comes out?
    Please let me know what you think or know about it.

If you are prepared, take it! If you are almost ready, buckledown and get through your studies and take it as quickly as possible.

FWIW - I wouldn't focus on worrying about the 'changes' just get through it, as you've been studying this material....complete it and move forward.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • evanderburgevanderburg Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I know it is a really difficult thing to plan and create the test material but I really wish that the A+ would change more often to reflect new technology. It is a shame when people earn the A+ on material a few years old when the computer hardware industry changes drastically over a 6 month period.
    "You can never know everything and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway. " - Lan, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan
  • D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    dubbs112 wrote:
    I am using the Meyers 2001 book do you think I need a new book or will this one be enough. I took the practice test before I read any of the information and scored a 75%

I would get the latest edition...

http://www.bookpool.com/sm/0072229918
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I know it is a really difficult thing to plan and create the test material but I really wish that the A+ would change more often to reflect new technology. It is a shame when people earn the A+ on material a few years old when the computer hardware industry changes drastically over a 6 month period.

Well in all the years I've worked with hardware, you see a lot more old stuff then new stuff rolling in for repairs then you do new stuff. While there are the techno-gadget-geeks out there who have to have the latest and greatest they fall into two groups....1. They don't need your stinking tech support or 2. they have too much money and will just pay you to fix it for them.

The places the computer shops I know of and worked (even large companies as IT support) we use a lot more 2-3 and even 4 year old equipment and keep it running before we start seeing thing that are 'current'. I have a few clients today who are able budget for semi-current equipment, but even then it's about 6 months off the release date to take the edge off the cost.

So, why would CompTIA push for releasing new exams every 6 months, when so many businesses and home users are using equipment from 1998? Your tested on it, because it is still pretty heavily in use.

PLUS, the cost of changing exams must be pretty high. There is a lot of testing and proof-reading that we don't realize taking place to keep the exams 'fair'. Just takes time to make the change.

FWIW
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?