Basic Voice Equipment

ulater6000ulater6000 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
I already have some 3560 PoE switchs, but need a CME enabled router that can do analog for lab setups that include POTS dial peers.

It looks like the 2811 is the cheapest router I can get with IOS 15 and CME 8.6. My question is what add on cards do I need to be able to setup analog lines on it and dial in from an outside analog line?

Will this particular 2811
Cisco 2811 Router w PVDM2 16 CME 8 6 256F 256D 90 Days Warr Ccent CCNA CCNP | eBay

work with a VIC-2FXS and a VIC-2FXO card or do I need the VIC2- versions of these cards? Also, can I install these direct into that 2811 as is or do I need a NM-2V adapter for them? Would a VIC-2DID be better than the VIC-2FXS? It looks like the VIC2- versions are A LOT more expensive than the VIC- versions... does a 2811 require VIC2- cards? Is the PVDM-16 that comes with the 2811 enough DSP power?

-Thanks

Comments

• ulater6000ulater6000 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I found the Cisco hardware compatibility list and based on that information, I got:

2811 Router w/IOS 15.1, CME 8.6, and a PVDM2-16
    VIC-4FXS/DID
    VIC2-2FXO

My only remaining question is will the PVDM2-16 provide enough DSP power for this?

-Thanks
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yes, the PVDM2-16 is fine for the above hardware VICs. Not sure how far you are planning to go with Voice, but if you're going to go deeper then the CCNA I would add a second PVDM2 so you can play around with conferencing and transcoding.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • sendalotsendalot Member Posts: 328
    How did you find/afford CUCM? Did you get a business edition?

Thanks.
    The install media comes with a demo license - It's "timed" in 9.x but should be fine for the CCNA. For the media try asking at work (if you work for a place that has a Cisco rep) or ask Google ;)
    pitviper wrote: »
    The install media comes with a demo license - It's "timed" in 9.x but should be fine for the CCNA. For the media try asking at work (if you work for a place that has a Cisco rep) or ask Google ;)

My work doesn't go near VOIP tech unfortunately. I've been searching the web for 15 min with no luck. (searching with "cucm demo download," "call unified manager demo," "cucm iso," etc etc).

Do you have any legitimate link by any chance?

Since it's a demo, I believe it should be legal?

Thanks.
    Right now I'm still working with just CME in my studies, so I made sure the 2811 I bought just included it. When I get to the point in my studies where I need to start working with CUCME, I'll borrow the media from work and install it in demo mode; there's no way I could afford my own copy. On a side note, does anyone know how long the CUCME demo lasts and can you simply reinstall it once the demo expires?
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    ulater6000 wrote: »
    Right now I'm still working with just CME in my studies, so I made sure the 2811 I bought just included it. When I get to the point in my studies where I need to start working with CUCME, I'll borrow the media from work and install it in demo mode; there's no way I could afford my own copy. On a side note, does anyone know how long the CUCME demo lasts and can you simply reinstall it once the demo expires?

CME that you install on router doesn't expire, but CUCM that you install on VM or Server is time limited for Demo use.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    You can buy CUCM media on ebay. Your best bet is to look for licences for 8x software as the only think that is timed is uccx
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    JeanM wrote: »
    CME that you install on router doesn't expire, but CUCM that you install on VM or Server is time limited for Demo use.

CME is timed on the 2900 platform if you don't upload a license - 8 weeks and a few days.
    pitviper wrote: »
    CME is timed on the 2900 platform if you don't upload a license - 8 weeks and a few days.

Interesting, on 12.4 or 15 ? And what version of CME ?
    Also for CUCM Demo, can you restart by installing on a different VM after the demo period? Or does it somehow detect you and make you be able to use it only once?

Thanks.
    you can use it over and over. I never tried, but you maybe able to export your configuration and import it back into the new cucm. Not using the DR tool but a export under the bat tool.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    shodown wrote: »
    you can use it over and over. I never tried, but you maybe able to export your configuration and import it back into the new cucm. Not using the DR tool but a export under the bat tool.

I'll have to read up on how to export and import back.
    Thanks.
    One more followup question to this:

The router I'm getting is a 2811 with CME 8.6 included. I have access to another 2811 without CME. Can I copy the CME files from the new router to the old router via TFTP to add CME functionality to it and if so what files do I copy?

-Thanks
    I would copy the entire flash to be safe.
    Currently Reading

shodown wrote: »
    I would copy the entire flash to be safe.

Yep, make a backup of it to your desktop and go for it.
    One more followup question to this. I thought the extra router I'd be getting would also be a 2811, but it turned out to be a 2821. Can I still copy the entire flash directory from the 2811 to the 2821 to get CME on it? Also, the 2821 doesn't have any DSPs installed. I'm not doing anything but the default codec or any other crazy configurations... do I still need a DSP to run CME on the 2821 for the purpose of voice routing with dial peers?

-Thanks
    For those of you that may be curious, I simply removed the CF cards from both the 2811 and 2821, backed them both up, replaced the 2821 contents with the 2811 contents, inserted the CF card into the 2821, and it booted just fine. It's now using 15.1 instead of 12.4 and it has CME now :)

I was kind of surprised this worked since the 15.1 IOS .bin file uses a different file name than the 12.4 IOS .bin file. I thought the 2821 would have booted into rommon mode and then require me to specify a path to the IOS file?
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    It should only boot into rommon if you configure the register to do so, or if it cannot find an IOS in flash that it recognizes, and you can always check compatibility in release notes. Well done on getting that upgraded!