Need help with hardware setup 3560

jamarchitectjamarchitect Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
I recently came across a Catalyst 3560 PoE-8 and got it for $10. This is the first time I've had real Cisco hardware, and now I need help figuring out which console cable to buy.

My laptop has a dongle that splits into ether and serial. I need to keep the ether active while tunneling into the switch. I'm not sure if I can do this as the device is active with dsl and not sure how to use it with ssh at the same time.

As far as I can tell, I either need a DB9 serial to RJ-45 cable, or a USB to RJ-45 cable (I think this might be better - not sure). Like I said, I've never done this before, and I need to order the cable online as almost no one around here knows what a console cable is.

I know this isn't the perfect lab, but it's a step up from nothing.

Much thanks.

Comments

• omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    u can type console cable for cisco in Ebay & it will show u right away....it's the light blue color rollover cable DB9 serial to RJ45......then u need to search again in ebay for db9 to usb dongle.....this one will come with driver cd....don't ever loose the cd cause it's a pain to get those drivers online.....that's all u need buddy.......lucky u...$10 for 3560 PoE switch!!!!!!!
  • jamarchitectjamarchitect Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, it was a blessing to get the switch for that price and quite a surprise. I'd rather not use anything that requires drivers, cause I'm on Linux, but I'll do what you suggested and search around.
    I did find this, and I just asked if I need drivers on Fedora 20.

USB Serial Cables - Get Console Shop
  • xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cisco console cable, usb to serial adapter and putty (program) is all you need.

The 3560 is a very capable Multi-layer switch and you've got a BARGAIN. Make the most out of it! :)
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
    Wait. I need an RJ-45 to DB9 console cable, a DB9 to USB adapter, and a USB to USB cable. Is that right?

Sorry for being dense and uneducated in this area. Just having trouble wrapping my head around this.

(Yes, I was very lucky to get this switch. I can't wait to use it!)
  • xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You don't need the USB to USB cable, the DB9 to USB adapter plugs straight into a USB port and the console cable connects to the DB9 end.
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
    Oh great. Thanks! Will check this out.