CEH Drops Version Numbers

emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
Just sent out, see below:
Dear Certified Ethical Genius,

This email only serves as a formal notification to EC-Council's CEH certified members and does not require any action on the part of the recipients.

EC-Council's CEH v8 certification was accredited by ANSI in 2012 and EC-Council has decided to implement a major change to further individualize this ANSI accredited certification.

EC-Council is dropping the version number of its current CEH certification to distinguish the ANSI accredited version of the CEH certification from all other previous versions of the certification (CEH v1 to v7).

If you are an ANSI CEHv8 certified member:

This change will be implemented on April 1st 2014 for all CEH v8 certified members, including CEHv8 members certified prior to April 1st 2014.

EC-Council certification website, letters and certificates will no longer carry a version number for the ANSI accredited version. The ANSI accredited version of the CEH certificate will also carry the ANSI logo on the certification and thus providing an extra layer of recognition in the market. Members carrying this credential will be easily distinguished from the previous versions' certified members.

If you are a CEH v1 to v7 certified member:

Members certified with CEH v1 to v7 will not be affected by this change. Please note your certification will continue to carry the version number you have been certified with. You are requested to follow the Logo Usage Guideline listed on EC-Council Certification website (http://cert.eccouncil.org/). Upon successfully meeting the ECE requirements you will continue to be certified with the same version. If you wish to upgrade yourself to the ANSI Accredited CEH version you will need to attempt and pass the ANSI Accredited CEH version of the exam. You can write to membersupport@eccouncil.org for more details.

FAQ

1. Will I now receive a new certificate without the version number?
Your certificate in digital format is available in the ASPEN portal. To obtain a copy of the physical certificate, kindly contact aspencertsupport@eccouncil.org

2. If the certification is updated, how will employers differentiate it from the previous ANSI version?
Employers will be able to verify when the certification is achieved using the Transcript Verification system on ASPEN (by providing the member's full name and Certification ID number) and whether the member is a member in good standing (achieved by meeting the EC-Council Continuing Education (ECE) Policy requirement) by writing in to Member Support (membersupport@eccouncil.org).

3. Is there any change in the Exam or its format?
No, this change is only limited to the Title of the certification and not the Exam or the format.

4. How will I know whether the certification/exam is updated?
An announcement will be made through the certification website, the ASPEN Portal and the Members Portal, outlining the changes made to the certification/exam.

5. Will CEHv8 still be recognized as accredited by ANSI?
CEHv8 is accredited by ANSI. This change is only limited to change in the Title of the Certification effective April 1st 2014.

Good move IMO. I wonder if the version numbers confused any recruiters?

Comments

• BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    Thanks for the info, I just got the latest CEHv8...or should I just say....CEH....
    (Never met a recruiter that wasn't already pretty confused...lol)
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Certified Ethical Genius? I also got an email from them today, congratulating me on passing the CHFI (literally, that was over a year ago!) with a username/password for the aspen.eccouncil.org site... what exactly is this site for? And I can't log in because I haven't set up 2-factor authentication via SMS code... because I just got the initial log credentials. #smh
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • njlogixnjlogix Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    EC-Council likely started the 2-factor after getting hacked repeatedly. I took V8 in December and I have ANSI logo for CEH. CHFI still doesn't carry ANSI logo.
  • emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    Aspen is a pretty interesting place, it's sort of like the member area for ISC2; you can look at your cert status, print copies etc, but there's also some additional links to tools and content. They stuffed it all into the e-commerce store format so it's sort of weird, but you might find something you can use within.

And of course Delta is for CPE management.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The Aspen server is where you download CEH materials and access the resources that are free to all ECC cert holders and those resoeucfes that members have paid for.

I had a single-factor aspen account prior to their breach, but it was removed and I needed to create a new, 2-factor account. The tech support people never said why I had to create a new account, but it was obvious. I assume this happened to all aspen accounts.

I would like to take the CEHv8 (uh, "ANSI CEH") exam someday, but I sure don't have a good feeling about sending the ECC any of my picture identification. I wonder if they will take my amateur radio license instead. After all, it's Federal identification. icon_lol.gif
  • njlogixnjlogix Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You do not need to send any picture ID to ECC for any exams except LPT. Snowden went overboard by sending a copy of the passport. I took CEH and CHFI for WGU MS, but I paid for the voucher myself. They did not ask for any ID.
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Interesting information from EC-Council.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    EC-Council has dropped the version number and so will I when I mention it, C|EH it is then.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
    njlogix wrote: »
    They did not ask for any ID.
    Thanks for the info! :D

Now I'm wondering if that Snowden passport photo is fake or was acquired somewhere other than from the ECC.
  • bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190
    I think if you request to take the test without going through the official EC-Council training, you have to provide proof of identity, along with a letter from your supervisor/manager attesting to your IS experience. If I'm guessing right, Snowden sent a picture of his passport, along with the letter. I'm betting it's legitimate.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    bryguy wrote: »
    I think if you request to take the test without going through the official EC-Council training, you have to provide proof of identity, along with a letter from your supervisor/manager attesting to your IS experience. If I'm guessing right, Snowden sent a picture of his passport, along with the letter. I'm betting it's legitimate.

Correct: http://iclass.eccouncil.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/CEH_Exam-App_Form080513.pdf
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    My .02 they need to either merge Aspen and Delta, or at the least make Delta SSO. It is so annoying having to maintain another PW, I have to reset it like every 6 months when I login. (I dont login often...)

2FA is pretty worthless in this case, idt anyone else is using it.
  • NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    colemic wrote: »

I took all my EC-Council certs while working for the DoD. And the posted email looks very legit to me. Also...they had me pass them an ID too.
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SephStorm wrote: »
    My .02 they need to either merge Aspen and Delta, or at the least make Delta SSO. It is so annoying having to maintain another PW, I have to reset it like every 6 months when I login. (I dont login often...)

2FA is pretty worthless in this case, idt anyone else is using it.

Ditto. I always get them confused (I rarely log in...last time I did was to submit CEs for my CEH. Apparently passing CCNA shows as CE for CEH, lol).
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    double check, my CCNA course disappeared from aspen at some point.
    CCNA-Security is now on 8570.01. Maybe ECC will give credit for it now.

What's the link to the list of certs that ECC will give educational credits for getting?
  • diggitlediggitle Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What happened to all of the Microsoft for 8570.01?
    c colon i net pub dubdubdub root
    Microsoft was never really on 8570.01 that I know of. It looked like they were initially positioning the MCSA 2005, and later the MCTS and MCITP 2008, for inclusion on 8570.01, but they were dropped, as were Cisco's CCNA and CCNP. (Although the CCNA:Security is apparently on now.) I'm not sure why the MS certs were dropped, but Microsoft may have decided that having its certs included was not worth the cost of changing their cert program to meet the requirements of 8570.01.
  • diggitlediggitle Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Or all of that is in-process, but the DoD has decided not to display any cert that isn't officially approved. The transition to DoDD 8140 may mandate this change to avoid confusion about what certs are currently accepted.