Failed 70-410 yesterday

Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
Just wanted to share my first experience with my first Microsoft exam.

I scored 572/1000.
I used the exam ref as my reading material, CBT nuggets series and I have a virtual machine running win12 that I use experiment on what I am studying.

Well in my opinion, i just think Microsoft should just recreate all the study materials because some of questions in the exam were totally new and never came across them in any of the study material that I have used, studied for this exam since last year October and expected better result from this. I am not entirely blaming Microsoft on my result, a part of it has to do with me but I think Microsoft should start organising all the exam properly including all of the study material.

Comments

• Peterm44Peterm44 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear the result but you arent the only one to feel a bit puzzled during a Microsoft Exam. They update, 2012 R2 will start to be included if it isnt already just to add to the confusion when it comes to finding study material. The official book is the best way to go but something that might not look too important could be a question in the exam. Some use technet but I find it a bit painful for study info, CBT is pretty good too but cant rely purely on it. You arent too far off so good luck for the retake!
  • pistolpete31pistolpete31 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Surprising you weren't able to pass. I am just diving in and those were the resources I was planning on using. Still unsure if I am going to go for it but good luck to you on your retake. Hopefully you know some areas you need some extra work on now.
  • BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    Sorry to hear you didn't pass! Microsoft seems to test more on trivia and "new features" these days more than the basics of the OS and the study material in book form is really a joke compared to what it used to be. I'm on my third MCSE and the study material and exams have gone downhill quite a bit I think. I have a green exam book and a Windows Server 2012 inside and out that I bought and both are a joke.

I don't use it much but have you used Microsoft Virtual Academy as a resource for your studying? Perhaps there is some stuff on there that can help you.

And hopefully, you have second shot available where you are so you have a free retake.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/exam-70-410.aspx

"As of January 2014, this exam includes content covering Windows Server 2012 R2."

On that page this document shows specifically which objectives changed with the update.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/8/3/F83ACCC4-EDA9-4F21-B630-5F227812BEC8/70-410_OD_R2.docx
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • kingorankskingoranks Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sorry mate, don't give up.
  • MSSoftieMSSoftie Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I understand the disappointment. I have failed 2 MS exams in the last 5 months and know it is a bummer. Luckily, I was able to take what I learned the first time and pass on the second. I haven't had to take any test with the R2 information on it so I can't speak to it but I can give a little hint that I think a lot of MS test takers already know. If one of the possible answers is R2 (fill in latest version of whatever) specific then it is likely the right answer. So knowing what is new in R2 is a great help even if you don't understand it all. Recognize the terms. Microsoft seems to like to test your knowledge on the latest and greatest covered on the test. Just my opinion but it is a trick that I know has worked for myself and others.
  • oldslowoldslow Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    All,

I am also feeling the same. I took 70-410 cert last month and I didn't make it. I have used several different study guides, but I did not see much information from what I learned on the test questions. I have been working in the IT field for more than 10 years and have been managing/administering windows servers from 03, 08, and 2012. I took the test through Prometric. The exam did ask me a few questions about IPv6 Subnet calculation. Again, you must know deep and very detailed in order to pass the 70-410. I am feeling so sad and disappointed myself.
  • KorovievKoroviev Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My advice would be to cover all of the objectives at least once before you sit for the exam. Create a list based on the Born to Learn Wiki or the official exam page and use the Exam Ref as one of several key resources. Just having some degree of exposure to a topic can enable you to quickly identify the only plausible answer. The process of elimination and PowerShell are your best friends.

I would recommend Transcender/Self-Test (Kaplan) for practice exams. The questions are long and tedious to wade through, but they are very, very close to what you see on the exam; nearly identical in some cases.
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the kind words guys, I took a look at the resources you recommended seems to be looking very helpful, Thanks!!! :)
  • mokaibamokaiba Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Snow.bros wrote: »

I scored 572/1000.
    I used the exam ref as my reading material, CBT nuggets series and I have a virtual machine running win12 that I use experiment on what I am studying.

Well in my opinion, i just think Microsoft should just recreate all the study materials because some of questions in the exam were totally new and never came across them in any of the study material that I have used, studied for this exam since last year October and expected better result from this. I am not entirely blaming Microsoft on my result, a part of it has to do with me but I think Microsoft should start organising all the exam properly including all of the study material.

I failed 410 the first time as well using all the same material you did. I only passed it the second time because of the technet articles. They, apparently, are better at prepping you than anything else.

I also have failed the 411 exam twice so far and am shocked at how random some of the questions seem to be from Microsoft own study material (besides the GPO stuff). I get the impression that they want me to fail.

edit: I believe both had R2 content

edit2: to give perspective, I have zero experience operating or managing any windows server except for labs while studying
  • Xenith19Xenith19 Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Snow.bros wrote: »

I scored 572/1000.

Don't be discouraged. I passed on my third attempt, and it's only the second Microsoft exam I've passed out of about 7 total attempts.

Advice: Take the report the testing center gave you and start buttressing your weaknesses. Then try again. If your score increases but you still fail, then you know you're on the right track. Shore up your weaknesses and try again. My first attempt I got a 610. My second I got a 630. My third I got a 730.

One recommendation: One VM running Server 12 is insufficient. You might want to get a network simulator like GNS3 to build multiple servers in a virtual network. That way you can test lots of different features as they might exist in an actual enterprise. GNS3 can integrate with VirtualBox VMs, so it's a great tool. The only slight learning curve is you might have to set up routers if you have multiple virtual networks.
  • FullTilt151FullTilt151 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I failed this morning. 604. Kinda bummed but not unexpected. I got the 2nd shot voucher so it's not too bad. I was surprised at the number of questions regarding PowerShell commands, specific commands regarding administration. There were a few App Locker questions that I didn't find in any of my study material.
    Retesting in 3 weeks. I think that's long enough to shore up my weak points.

Good luck next time bro, I feel you...
  • atari37atari37 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I failed this morning. 604. Kinda bummed but not unexpected. I got the 2nd shot voucher so it's not too bad. I was surprised at the number of questions regarding PowerShell commands, specific commands regarding administration. There were a few App Locker questions that I didn't find in any of my study material.
    Retesting in 3 weeks. I think that's long enough to shore up my weak points.

Good luck next time bro, I feel you...

I do remember there being a few powershell commands on the 410 exam. However, I spent a few hours (maybe 2hrs total) on learning the basic powershell syntax. If you know the syntax, you can answer 95% of all powershell questions they give you on the exam. Of course you can't write your own scripts by learning only the basics but it will help you answer the multiple choice questions on the exam.
  • essaessbessaessb Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I failed also yesterday. But that was no surprise, I didn't study at all...
    Still I got 477 which is ok for not owning a book or studying vce files.

In my car, afterwords, I checked maybe three or four of the latest vce available and I could mark lots of them!
    I guess, if I would study them only, I could pass tomorrow.

But... I won't know anything about Server 2012, and that is the purpose of all this.

I took the test too early because my school is paying and last day is on Friday. But I have a 2nd shot and that is what I am going for.
    Now I have a clue on what they want me to be better in and of course it is about Core and Hyper-V. Never heard about it...

So good luck and keep up the good spirit!
  • pistolpete31pistolpete31 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all of the comments and feedback, I am just starting to study for the MCSA and everything is helpful. Going to read a book, watch cbt nuggets, read technet, lab, and continually check here for info. Seems like IPv6, hyper-v, powershell, and GPO are important.
  • Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm sorry to hear you failed. I myself failed too this weekend. I got 445/1000 but i'm not to upset. I been working in the I.T field for years but now I have to get this cert. Job is asking for it. Even thow I don't work on servers i do more of help desk and some server updates but not to much on building them.

In my exam i notice little powershell but ipv6, App locker, GPO, and hyper-v. I am going to take it once again in 3 weeks or so ... Need to figure out if I get a free take or If i have to pay again.

Other thing I read someone talked about the technet material. Does anyone have the usr for this?
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • pjd007pjd007 Member Posts: 277 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Louie1277 wrote: »
    I'm sorry to hear you failed. I myself failed too this weekend. I got 445/1000 but i'm not to upset. I been working in the I.T field for years but now I have to get this cert. Job is asking for it. Even thow I don't work on servers i do more of help desk and some server updates but not to much on building them.

In my exam i notice little powershell but ipv6, App locker, GPO, and hyper-v. I am going to take it once again in 3 weeks or so ... Need to figure out if I get a free take or If i have to pay again.

Other thing I read someone talked about the technet material. Does anyone have the usr for this?
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcsa-mcse-windows-2012-general/88247-70-410-resources.html
    Louie1277 wrote: »
    I'm sorry to hear you failed. I myself failed too this weekend. I got 445/1000 but i'm not to upset. I been working in the I.T field for years but now I have to get this cert. Job is asking for it. Even thow I don't work on servers i do more of help desk and some server updates but not to much on building them. In my exam i notice little powershell but ipv6, App locker, GPO, and hyper-v. I am going to take it once again in 3 weeks or so ... Need to figure out if I get a free take or If i have to pay again. Other thing I read someone talked about the technet material. Does anyone have the usr for this?
    Thanks Louie!
    I had forgotten to update this post on my result after retaking the exam: http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcsa-mcse-windows-2012-general/99439-finally-passed-070-410-a.html As pjd007 suggests, Technet can be really helpful contributing towards passing the exam. You can also use this as a resources:Exam Prep: 70-410 and 70-417 - MCSA: Windows Server 2012 (repeats on May 13 at 5:00pm) | TechEd North America 2014 | Channel 9 it provides more info on how you would go about preparing for the exam it's very helpful.
  • macboy81macboy81 Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ive just started studying 70-410 im hoping to take exam before the end of the year and progress to 70-411 but seen a few like this who have failed is the exam that hard ?
    It is a challenging exam but it's not impossible to pass it on your first take, you just have to have enough (multiple resource) study material to really get prepared for it and another thing I noticed is, studying for these exam is very practical, you have to get familiar with UI and the powershell command line.
  • Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for sharing the information. I will look into this site and see what i could start studying on once again.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*