Question about Exchange

sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
I am learning exchange but i am having a difficult time understanding how to exchange to send/receive e-mail externally.

Comments

• gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    are you doing this on your home ISP? most of the time (if comcast 100% OF THE TIME) they will block port 25, so you will need to setup some sort of forwarder to an external account or Smarthost
  • sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
    I am VPN from my home to my work network. I verify that 25 is open by going to canyouseeme.org and testing.
    so you are at home vpning to work trying to setup exchange? your sentance is confusing
    Yes. i am running VMware workstation on my work pc which has exchange and a domain controller. I am using vpn from home to work so that i can RDP into my work pc.
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You are verifying that port 25 is open, but to what? Your workstation? Your companies email server? you need a firewall rule to point from your public IP to your workstation

you also need an MX record and to have you server configured to receive emails on that domain
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
    to my company e-mail server. We use godaddy for hosting.
    your boss is ok with this? Is godaddy redirected to your work ip address and you have the ports open on the ip address that has exchange?
    I did not consult with my boss. We have a separate ISP line and equipment for us so that we can lab. But nevermind, this seems too convoluted to setup.
  • XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    "You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind..."

icon_silent.gif
    Its really not, since you bought the Domain name, it has to know where to send the packets, so you have to tell godaddy that everything is at your work IP, there should be a mailexchange record that you'll need to point to your work's IP address. you'll also have to make sure you have entries in your dns so your network on your test domain knows so that it knows wheres to point your mx records (aka your exchange box)

I have godaddy and have set this up before at home, granted i didn't get mail received but I was able to send mail out. (mainly because I was using comcast and they blocked port 25 so configuring mail in was too much of a hassle)
    isnt port 25 to send e-mail? Also, go daddy host my domain. I have the A record for go daddy pointing to my exchange server. I also have an MX record in my DC pointing to go daddy. Is this right?
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Port 25 is the TCP port that the SMTP server listens on. It's what another mail-transfer-agent would connect to in order to send email.
    what port does exchange use to receive email then?
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Port 25 is the TCP port that mail servers listen on for connections. You may want to familiarize yourself with email basics. A great explanation can be found here - Simple Mail Transfer Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    It typically goes like this for incoming mail:

External DNS (MX record) [External IP] --> Firewall (NAT External IP to Internal IP, allow TCP 25/465) --> Mail Filter (Internal IP, now route to Exchange) --> Exchange (Receive connector) --> Hub/Edge Transport --> Mailbox

Now for outgoing mail:
    Exchange (Send connector to Mail Filter) --> Mail queue (in Exchange) --> Mail filter --> Firewall --> External Mail server
    When I used go daddy's dns i just deleted everything and had everything point to my domain controller, then I setup DNS and everything as far as dns entries go locally