How do you stay motivated?

2»

Comments

• goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    didn't read the whole thread, but I think about my boring job... Works everytime..
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • CCNPforSureCCNPforSure Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Every time I get around someone smarter than me in any particular subject (IT related) I have to close the gap.
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Every time I get around someone smarter than me in any particular subject (IT related) I have to close the gap.

Mostly this for me now!

I was starting to lose motivation before this new job. Now, im the "dumb" guy in the room of 10 people. I have some ground to make up with some competitive guys/gals.
  • PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    For me, I aspire to be better than I am. And I really mean that. I have a vision for what I want to be independent of the others around me.

I used to be 280 pounds. I'm currently around 190 with serious muscle definition. I have worked passionately hard on this as its part of the vision of what I want for myself. (I've also come to seriously enjoy fitness)

Part of my motivation isn't just professional development but physical and mental development. There's so much to say for developing soft skills like confidence and outward presence. The stereotype of the shy, socially awkward IT guy is unfortunately is a reality. I strive to be an absolute pro at faking it until you make it ;)

I have a very specific professional goal in life and story I want to tell. We spend so much time at work and I want to be in the position to help it mean more to people and create better opportunity. Helping to bring others up emotionally and professionally is such a unique sense of satisfaction.

Its a little lame, but I honestly feel the episode "Tapestry" from Star Trek TNG changed the direction of my life. (big Star Trek geek here)
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Randomly thought of this thread last night while studying, and one thing that has kept me motivated, is finding peoples immense progress over the years by googling basic questions for the voice exam.

I'd google something like "CCNA Voice study time" or "640-461 materials to study", and I'd find several results from threads on here, with members starting threads regarding the same broad questions as me. Then when you look at their current list of certifications, it often includes CCNP level certs, which reinforces the fact that we all start from scratch (which is very easy for me to forget at times talking with people at such high skill levels).

Thought I'd share that, when I take breaks between studying and browse the internet, I've been running into that a lot and that keeps my engine moving forward!
  • egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
    you get quick motivation by listing goals and completing them. each day you complete most or all your goals your level of motivation rises. You also motivate by listening to inspiring speeches. youtube.com is a very easy destination.
    B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+
  • ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My progress has been slow and not up to par, but I keep going. My main motivation is my two little boys. I didn't get much growing up (second hand clothes from St. Vincent de Paul, no family vacations, very little for Christmas, never any birthday presents), so I'm always striving to get to a place where they will not have to go through that. I never want them to have the life I did growing up and want to give them the world and everything in it.
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"
  • maharalielmaharaliel Member Posts: 119
    You have your own life and to be experienced and skilled you must have the beginning other have started their journey for them to become smart like they are today. You have also to keep on working hard for you to be competitive on the market place.
  • neo9006neo9006 Member Posts: 195
    It depends on the person, but motivation is always in the back of my mind. In my case here I am at 41 looking to the future. I am going to be starting all over again from the bottom. I did that over 10 years ago when I took a second job. In 10 years I had 4 promotions which included management. Took me less then 6 months at the time to move up pretty good in pay. I reminded myself that I could do it and I did. My main drive is my wife. She keeps me level headed, motivated, and very supportive. When I finished my bachelors degree to me her and my mom where in the back of my mind the whole time. I think for me it was really my mom, she passed away 15 years ago but I know I got my college smarts from her. She was proud when I got my associate degree and I know she be proud today. I like for my wife and I to have an easier time in life and go do some traveling when we are older. She love that.
    BAAS - Web and Media Design
    Working on A+
  • Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Experience poverty for a while. Poverty and hunger are terrible feelings to have but they are also great motivators.

This. Constant worrying over food and shelter and bills can light a fire under someone.

One thing that's helped is to write down goals on an index card and post them in front of your face, so you're forced to stare at them every day. I've overdone it and listed pages of goals, but that didn't work. Filling up just one index card with goals helps.
    In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    This can end up as an unhealthy obsession that will eat you alive. Life is short, enjoy it!

wise words
  • philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    Im enjoying my studies for my ccent/ccna but i can't help stop thinking about the fact that, no matter how hard i study there's always someone out there who studies harder than me, knows more than me, and will probably get a better job than me. Like, on the news some time ago there was a story on some 14 year old who hacks some big company or whatever.....it's hard to stay motivated when i hear about things like that because how can someone so young possibly know how to do things like that....shouldn't 14 year olds be outside playing or something? I'm not trying to be a hacker(tho i do want to eventually get into network security).

Do you guys ever think about it? that there are probably people much younger than you who know alot more than you do.
    Maybe idk what im talking about, it's just something that's been on my mind.

Ya and so what? There is always someone better then you at something. You should change your perspective. It is good that there are people at there who know more then you. Become their friends and when you don't know something guess who you call. You cannot know everything. If you want the sure fire way to get an awesome job, learn how to be a people person. Be likable. Have ton's of resources you can call on at any moment. The secret to success is your personal network.
  • ZomboidicusZomboidicus Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
    philz1982 wrote: »
    Ya and so what? There is always someone better then you at something. You should change your perspective. It is good that there are people at there who know more then you. Become their friends and when you don't know something guess who you call. You cannot know everything. If you want the sure fire way to get an awesome job, learn how to be a people person. Be likable. Have ton's of resources you can call on at any moment. The secret to success is your personal network.

I don't think a 14 year old hacker is necessarily better than you or us. They have more time on their hands, less responsibilites, so on. The younger they are, the more sociopathic they seem to be. There is no moral or ethical boundary that are stopping them from doing these stuff. They don't understand the seriousness of what they are doing. And from what I've heard, hacking tools are less complicated these days; it seems like some of these tools are run in matter of a click. I wouldn't feel inferior to a malicious mouse jockey.
    2016 Certification Goals: Who knows :D
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Cert Poor wrote: »
    This. Constant worrying over food and shelter and bills can light a fire under someone.

One thing that's helped is to write down goals on an index card and post them in front of your face, so you're forced to stare at them every day. I've overdone it and listed pages of goals, but that didn't work. Filling up just one index card with goals helps.

Good stuff. The wife and I started out marriage VERY poor. Talk about motivation. We are now Pathologically thrifty :)
    I don't think a 14 year old hacker is necessarily better than you or us. They have more time on their hands, less responsibilites, so on. The younger they are, the more sociopathic they seem to be. There is no moral or ethical boundary that are stopping them from doing these stuff. They don't understand the seriousness of what they are doing. And from what I've heard, hacking tools are less complicated these days; it seems like some of these tools are run in matter of a click. I wouldn't feel inferior to a malicious mouse jockey.

I think you completely missed the point of what I wrote.
    Good stuff. The wife and I started out marriage VERY poor. Talk about motivation. We are now Pathologically thrifty :)

Likewise, being poor has a way of either creating dependency or drive.
  • daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    To stay motivated you have to have passion and drive. You have to micromanage yourself to completion. It's not easy obviously, or everyone would be doing it. My motivation level at the moment is running low, so I may take a break for a year or two before I even think of studying for another cert.
  • jobes23jobes23 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Don't think that a 14 year old or that other people know more than you, because lets me honest. Everyone one this board knows something more about something that someone else on this board. We are only human.

As to getting a job, if you show potential to an employer, you might be able to get the job over a person who already has the knowledge.
    Course Taking: Start 9/1
    Courses Done: BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, C172, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses Left: C182, EUP1, EUC1, C173, C169, TJC1, TJP1, C175, C170, TYP1, TYC1, CJC1, C191, C178, C176, CLC1, C179, EDV1, BNC1, C195, UBC1, C278, EAV1, EBV1