Options

Unsure how to connect my new Switches to my PC and GNS3

EpidotEpidot Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I recently passed my CCNA and am now studying for my CCNP Switching Exam. I will be receiving 2X 2950 and 2X 3550 Switches tomorrow.

But I'm not very clear on certain things.

1) How do I mimic hosts on each Switch without actually having 4 PC's

2) What Telnet/SH client should I use on my PC

3) Is it possible to have my four Switches displayed on a topology in GNS3 along with Routers, and when clicking on the Switches It will connect to them? I know you can attach a SW to GNS3 but how do I attach 4 of them and what is the process. Is their a guide around?

4) Will the SW show correct interfaces for the Virtual Routers on GNS3 as if they were real routers?

5) Do I need to deal with Routers at all if this is the Switching EXAM? I guess I do if needing to ping a DNS on the Internet.

4) I am aware I will have to use a console cable and keep plugging it into each SW all the time. Is their a better way other than buying an Access Server?

I guess i'm just wondering when I have my 4 Switches here, I will look at them and think "now what's the next step"

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    1) I've never worried too much about hosts in my lab. If you really need a host for something you can't use an SVI or loopback for then you can use a router, a PC whatever you have. I've never found it that important though.

2) Whatever you like. Putty is free.

3) No not that I know if.

4) No, you will need to hook your NIC to one of the switches and use a cloud in GNS3. Google will find you plenty of tutorials.

5) You probably won't need any routers for SWITCH.

4 (again)) Not really a better way for multiple console access. Once you get a basic set up going you can telnet from device to device.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    Epidot wrote: »
    5) Do I need to deal with Routers at all if this is the Switching EXAM? I guess I do if needing to ping a DNS on the Internet.

You are expected to know the basics of EIGRP and stuff like router on a stick and a few other things like layer 3 ports.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah 4 again lol. I started with just 4 questions and added to it but forgot to change the number.

It's a shame about not being able to create a full topology in GNS3 and use the 4 Switches. I really would like to be able to view all the devices and links on the Screen to keep a picture of what im doing.
  • Options
    Yes. I guess though as this exam requires Layer 3 Switches which are routers then they will do the job anyway. The 3550's
  • Options
    bobfromfplbobfromfpl Member Posts: 104
    You can also purchase a whiteboard & dry erase markers. These are great when youre drawing up a quick diagram before you lay it out in GNS
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Epidot wrote: »
    It's a shame about not being able to create a full topology in GNS3 and use the 4 Switches. I really would like to be able to view all the devices and links on the Screen to keep a picture of what im doing.

You can create a topology map in something like Visio and put the switch icons on it – then save it as your background in GNS3. You won’t be able to click on the switches but it’s helpful for taking notes and keeping everything in one place.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    thanks for the helpful replies :)