MY CCIE R&S Thread

kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
I got laid off a couple of weeks ago (telecom 14 yrs) so I'm planning on getting my CCIE in the next 6 months, yup that's right. I started studying about 5 years ago and the past couple of years I wasn't studying much. My studying materials are INE and planning on 4+ hrs a day. I have my own rack so I can do the bulk of my studying on it. When I first started studying I finished most of WB1 except QOS and actually went through a lot of the sections 2-3 times. I'm not sure if I want to pass the V4 written then take the V5 lab or take the v5 written.

The last 2 weeks I've been watching INE ATC videos on layer 2 switching and WB1. Most of it has been a review for me and today I finished layer 2 switching. Next up is watching layer 2 switching troubleshooting videos then on to PPP to finish layer 2.
Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Sorry to hear about the layoff. Things happen though. You plan on getting another job or just knocking out the CCIE full time?

Good luck on your studies!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Good luck man.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    Sorry to hear about the layoff. Things happen though. You plan on getting another job or just knocking out the CCIE full time?

Good luck on your studies!

knocking out the CCIE full time. The wife is supportive of that and financially we can afford it for the short term.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'd probably do the v4 written and v5 lab, if I felt I could do the written now, of course.
    I cant believe I spent all day doing PPP which only included 3 tasks from WB1 oh well I learned a lot about AAA and PPPoE. I watched PPP videos for R&S & SP ATC, and AAA video. I got familiar with the doc cd for PPPoE.
    I did the 3 tasks again for PPP and this time I was messing around with the different AAA configs for authentication. I'm not sure how much the lab is going to test on AAA and if it includes accounting and authorization. I think for authorization its just going to be CLI like assigning a command to priv 2 or role bases views. I'll practice more when I get to security but for now I'm comfortable enough with AAA authentication i.e name and default lists and different methods. I also couldn't figure out how to source the packets from your loopback interface with global config tacacs-server or radius-server

PPPoE I forgot the command that binds the dialer interface to the physical interface so today I was able to do it

Up next im not sure if I want to work on Narbik advance WB v3 layer 2 switching even though its old I don't think much changed with layer 2 switching or start working on layer 3. Frame Relay isn't in V5 and I still remember enough to get me through v4 WBs.
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Sorry to hear - best of luck with the exam prep!
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    kryolla wrote: »
    I also couldn't figure out how to source the packets from your loopback interface with global config tacacs-server or radius-server

Rack1R1(config)#ip tacacs source-interface lo0
    Rack1R1(config)#ip radius source-interface lo0
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
    EdTheLad wrote: »
    Rack1R1(config)#ip tacacs source-interface lo0
    Rack1R1(config)#ip radius source-interface lo0

thanks I knew it was there from my last time I was studying security which was a few years back. The security section I only did once.

The last time I took a test, last CCNP test, was back in 2009 so I totally forgot what testing center and my login info so I got that fixed and checked the dates for V4 written and I'm going to schedule it for the end of May. Does anybody know if the INE written videos are any good they have a 25% off until tomorrow. The cert guide I have is V3 so maybe with both I can pass the written.
  • silver145silver145 Member Posts: 265 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Unless you have a good amount of experience i'd say the videos do not provide enough low level "grit" for you to pass the exam.
  • simon_ccie_spsimon_ccie_sp Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    All the best man.
    I am on the SP track, targetting in the next 6-8months
  • wintermute000wintermute000 Banned Posts: 172
    silver145 wrote: »
    Unless you have a good amount of experience i'd say the videos do not provide enough low level "grit" for you to pass the exam.

How much AAA is there??? Did you get a massive amount of detailed AAA in your lab exam?

I would be so super p1ssed if I got there after studying my a$$ off on OSPF, EIGRP, BGP (confeds RRs and all the weird and wonderful manipulation methods etc.), MPLS-VPN (i.e. MP-BGP), multicast etc. (i.e. the 'real' topics) to find a large chunk of freakin AAA and/or ppp in my lab.

If OTOH you're just talking about a 'standard' bunch of aaa commands you'd see in any large enterprise or SP (aaa authentication login xxx group TACACS local, define group, etc.) then @ this level you should have knocked out those commands a few hundred times at least by this point in your career lol
    I decided to do Narbik advance WB layer 2 sections. It was pretty good doing the basics then MST, private vlans, and security with SNMP thrown in there. His workbook also has layer 2 QOS which I would like to do but depending on time I might not be able to get to it. Now its on to the fun stuff layer 3. I should be able to complete sections 3&4 from INE WB1 this week. I have to say its a lot more clearer studying this time around. I think the first time was just too overwhelming
    I learned about this today on the switches

Rack16SW1(config)#int range macro ?
    WORD upto 32 character string

Rack16SW1(config)#define ?
    interface-range interface-range

On another topic I attended a free online group mentoring today for an hour and a half. It was alright there's another one tomorrow night that I signed up for so we'll see how that goes.
    section 3 is done from INE WB1. Good stuff working with ip sla, track object, policy routing and gre tunnels, all are on V5. What I found is by using the default keyword in route-map set option it reverses the logic for policy routing so it goes to the routing table and then if there is no entry it gets policy routed.

I spend too much time on the GRE section trying to filter out a route, I was filtering the wrong route and was wondering how come it wasn't working so I started second guessing the syntax of my access list. You know when using the distribute command with an standard or extended acl you can filter based on the network or based on the network and the neighbor or is it your neighbor and the network

I also ordered the v4 cert guide and 2 1841 routers with ios 15 to replace my old 2500 routers. Has anyone tried the Boson test questions for the written.

Next is watching RIP videos and then onto the WB. On the V5 exam topics for RIP it only says to implement and troubleshoot whereas the rest of the IGP it goes more in depth
  • ScalesScales Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I noticed earlier you mentioned you used one of Narbik's workbooks. Did you use the foundations one as well? if so, how did you find it?
    Scales wrote: »
    I noticed earlier you mentioned you used one of Narbik's workbooks. Did you use the foundations one as well? if so, how did you find it?

I bought the v3 advance workbook that he had on sale when the v4 came out. I figure layer 2 and layer 3 will be the same. At that time I was only concentrating on the core topics
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    If you don't mind me asking, do you have fairly extensive work experience with route / switch, or are you going for the gold purely from self study?

Love the blog by the way, I like checking out your progress on here, good luck making it across the finish line!
    ande0255 wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking, do you have fairly extensive work experience with route / switch, or are you going for the gold purely from self study?

Love the blog by the way, I like checking out your progress on here, good luck making it across the finish line!

Most of my experience is in wireless telecom like CDMA or 4G LTE working in the switch or data center. I have a little experience with router and switches but I have a lot of experience in troubleshooting issues. My main study is just me watching videos and doing the workbooks. I do plan on attending a boot camp in June and hopefully pass the written in the end of May. Im aiming to get the core topics and WB 3 done before the boot camp then do the rest of WB1 and start WB2 labs. I'm fortunate or unfortunate I guess it depends on how you look at for being able to dedicate all day to studying. My kids go to school and the wife works so I have the house all to myself until about 3. I'm hoping the CCIE will get me in the door and Ill probably start low but hopefully within a couple of years I'll be making money compared to what I was making.

I got my rack pre-configured with the RIP configs so I'll start that lab tomorrow. I watched the RIP videos from ATC a couple of weeks ago and today I watched 2 videos from the INE routing learning series on RIP and Ill go read the RIP section from the cert guide tonight. I feel pretty confident with RIP as I did that lab a couple of times. Then I'll do Narbik RIP section then I'll move on to EIGRP. I think I'll be done with RIP this week then for EIGRP I'll set a side a week to study that.
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    did some reading on RIP last night. I knew what the timers were for but didn't know how it really applied. For indirect failure the timers come into play. When you sh ip route the timer I knew was for if it went over 30 sec (default) the route wasn't good anymore but I never associated that timer was the invalid timer.

Routing entry for 155.16.7.0/24
    Known via "rip", distance 120, metric 3
    Redistributing via rip
    Last update from 155.16.0.3 on Serial0.1, 00:02:04 ago THIS TIMER is the invalid default is 3 min
    Routing Descriptor Blocks:
    * 155.16.0.3, from 155.16.0.5, 00:02:04 ago, via Serial0.1
    Route metric is 3, traffic share count is 1

R 150.16.7.0/24 is possibly down, AFTER invalid time expires
    routing via 155.16.0.3, Serial0.1

Rack16R2# sh ip route 155.16.7.0
    Routing entry for 155.16.7.0/24
    Known via "rip", distance 120, metric 4294967295 (inaccessible) THIS means the router cannot accept any updates about this prefix
    Redistributing via rip
    Last update from 155.16.0.3 on Serial0.1, 00:03:22 ago NOTE flush timer and invalid timer start at the same time so now this is the flush time
    Hold down timer expires in 157 secs NOTICE the hold down timer has counted DOWN from 180 sec

ONCE the hold down timer OR flush time expires it can receive new updates

Rack16R2# sh ip route 155.16.7.0
    % Subnet not in table

AFTER flush timer expires...hold down timer will never expire due to 60 sec after invalid the flush expires
    Im done with RIP section. I really like this section with INE adding loops and reliable default routing and even some PPP IPCP address assignments. Im getting more comfortable with filtering routes although I still need more practice with prefix list when you add the le or ge. I also like when you add the access-lists for filtering you don't include the subnet mask so its basically a host route.

When adding timers basic it automatically assigns the advertise time to the interfaces when I was putting 30 back on and looking at the running config it wasn't there then I realize it put 10 in all the interfaces.

I had a hard time with RIPv1 and wondering why when you have discontiguous networks it wont get installed i.e if R1 has 10.1.1.0/24 and the transit link to R2 is 11.1.12.0/24 then R2 has 10.1.2.0/24 R2 will receive the route 10.0.0.0 but it wont install it in the RIB. If you shut the link down for 10.1.2.0/24 the 10.0.0.0/8 will get installed

I remembered how to do most of the tasks except the 2 loops that they introduced. I didn't know that if a router see itself as the next hop it wont install that route for RIP I knew for other IGPs it did this. Also its rare for RIP to not modify the next hop and it usually does except when you disable split horizon. It also nice to know when you sh ip protocols what everything means and how to modify it.

RIP: 155.16.45.5 change state from LOADING to FULL

Tomorrow is Narbik WB for RIB then its on to EIGRP
    I got my 2 1841 routers today and re-configured my rack. Also started on Narbik WB RIP section. He doesn't have any pre-configurations so I had to configure it from scratch which was fun going from INE to his layout.

This is my rack layout

R1 2500, R2 2600, R3 3640, R4 1841, R5 1841, R6 2851, sw1 3750, sw2-4 3550

I also have INE SP stuff so I can get more practice with MPLS VPN. With R3 and I have an extra 2611 with old IOS that can do MPLS I should have enough routers that are capable of MPLS to do the SP WB
    I found an old PDF that explains prefix lists and I get it now...Another ah ha moment
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Isn't it nice when the lightbulbs start coming on? I've had a few of those moments this week with Multicast and QoS and the lab in general.
    gorebrush wrote: »
    Isn't it nice when the lightbulbs start coming on? I've had a few of those moments this week with Multicast and QoS and the lab in general.

Yeah I spent a lot of times trying to wrap my head around prefix list last time I was studying then last night I printed out the pdf and within 10-15 min I got and in Narbik WB one of his task in RIP section was a prefix list and I got it right. The pdf explained it in binary so it made more sense then someone just talking about it in the videos. While learning it I was like this is just like summarization..

How's your studying coming along and at what point are you in your studies?
    Written is scheduled..Next month I'll get the Boson practice test questions

Thursday, May 29, 2014
    350-001: CCIE Routing and Switching Written
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    Mind sharing this prefix list material?
    fredrikjj wrote: »
    Mind sharing this prefix list material?

sure send me a message with your email address.

I finished Narbik WB on RIP a lot of good stuff that INE didn't cover. I also got my v4 cert guide today. Went and got chromecast so I cast my INE videos to my big screen lol.
    I watched all the eigrp vids from ATC and learning series. I'll be done with reading the eigrp section on the cert guide tonight. I'm about halfway done with INE WB1 for eigrp.

The 1841 are on IOS 15 and it doesn't support the distance command at the end of the summary but introduced a new command on router eigrp config which is summary-metric. Also the 1841 don't support default-network command, it tags it with a * but doesn't show up as the gateway of last resort. 1841 also has auto summary disabled by default for eigrp but in RIP you still have to disable it. In RIP split horizon is disabled on the main interface for frame relay by default when you sh ip int s0/0 that split horizon is ONLY for RIP. To show it for eigrp its sh ip eigrp interface detail. Last time I did the INE WB I didn't quite understand changing the metrics for traffic engineering now this time I feel really good but we'll see once they introduce the k01-bandwidth.

Once I finish this I'll watch the t-shooting vids then do Narbik WB. So far no issues with eigrp section