Options

GNS3 1.0 Alpha release...

OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
Any word on if they still plan on releasing at the end of this month for those who got the premium membership? I'm real eager to get my hands on it. :D I mean, tomorrow is the 31st and all... or maybe they'll push it another two weeks?
:study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []

Comments

• Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    There is a GNS3 thread on the Cisco Learning Network where Stephen has posted in.

After the initial delay, we should take a wait and see attitude. We also have to temper our expectations. They did raise $300K but it's not like they're a training vendor, Cisco, Microsoft, etc. And we can't expect miracles with the switching support.

I'm more excited about the CML. From what I heard, they plan to release it in spring or summer. It does have a yearly license fee of $100 for 1 user license with 15 devices. But the images I saw at Live last year make me more excited as far as Cisco studies go.

But GNS3 seems to be more geared toward multi vendor support JUNOS, IOS, Arista, etc.
  • Options
    networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    spiderjericho, that information about the yearly license was from Cisco Live session or during the demo at WoS? This is the first time I've heard about this. I know Brian Dennis said it's free but also read somewhere that there will be money involved. I believe there will be a CML session during Cisco Live 2014 at SF so hopefully we'll know more information when the release date is and how much it'll cost.

GNS3 v1 was supposed to be released end of March but no email from Stephen. On top of that $300K from the successful crowdfunding, I believe they also got some money from the government and educational institutions.
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    GNS3 1.0 wasn't due until the fall. People are just getting access to an alpha (the Windows version is buggy). So technically all who paid for early access are beta/alpha testers.

The CML info I got from the Cisco Learning. I did a google search for VIRL and it popped up. One of the persons associated with the product mentioned the licensing details of $100 for a personal license and 15 devices and some astronomical price to use it in an Enterprise.

GNS3 is great. But having access to IOS 15, IOS XR, IOS XE, etc and possibly switch in the future (as well as creating host VMs) is great. Having said that, it still has some maturing to do.
  • Options
    networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, the final product of GNS v1 should be out Q4. I was only talking about the Alpha release.

Gotcha. I saw the same thing. I just thought it was an official word from Cisco. He also claimed that the target release date is April/May. Probably during the Cisco Live SF. I wonder if they'll announce it here.