Passed Network+!

mfrat1114mfrat1114 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
Figured I'd share my experience and some tips to help anyone out that's struggling... FYI: I passed Security+ on Feb 14th and jumped right into studying for Net+ before taking it this past Friday.

I found the exam extremely easy. I scored an 848/900 but feel I should have done better. My scheduled exam appointment was for 9:15am, and I wasn't even seated until 10:15am. The simulation questions kept malfunctioning and sometimes froze up and didn't even work--this happened on 2 of them, so I ended up skipping a couple.

What I used to study (reminder: this is fresh after Security+, there's a lot of overlapping content, but for Sec+ I only used Gibson's book):

- Mike Meyers AIO (w/ Total Seminars exam engine that came with it)
- ExamCram Network+ book
- Gibson's Network+ Practice Exam Questions (the flashcards were very helpful!)

I read each book, took notes, typed up all my notes when done with all of it just to refresh my memory with the content. Then I kept taking practice exams from ALL material until I consistently scored over a 95% on all of them. The test was a breeze.

Good luck all!

Comments

• Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif

What's next?
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Congratulations!!!
    Nice job!

I thought I was the only one that took notes and then typed them all up. :D
  • DonM34DonM34 Member Posts: 139
    Congrats, im taking the network+ Exam next week......... My study materials are Messers Videos and Mike Meyers Network+ Book..
    2014 Goal [ ] CCENT [ ] MCTS (Active Directory) [ ] CompTIA Security+
  • rhtrht Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • mfrat1114mfrat1114 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif

What's next?

I'm learning Perl for fun right now, but I'm going to dive into OSCP soon. On the side, I'm studying CCENT materials. Thinking of snagging CCENT while networking fundamentals are fresh in my mind.
    SharkDiver wrote: »
    Congratulations!!!
    Nice job!

I thought I was the only one that took notes and then typed them all up. :D

The only way that I can retain information is if I write down notes from the book (occasionally I end up writing down the whole book it seems) and then type them up again.
    DonM34 wrote: »
    Congrats, im taking the network+ Exam next week......... My study materials are Messers Videos and Mike Meyers Network+ Book..

I cannot comment on Messer's videos, but Mike Meyers' material is solid. I will say that there was a lot of material in the CramExam Network+ book that I either did not remember or never saw brought up in Mike Meyers' book...
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    mfrat1114 wrote: »

The only way that I can retain information is if I write down notes from the book (occasionally I end up writing down the whole book it seems) and then type them up again.

I do the same thing. I start out "taking notes" and after 20 pages of handwriting, I realize that I am just writing down everything. :D
  • Sizwe352Sizwe352 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mfrat1114 I booked for my exam and I'm writting on the 22nd of this month. I need the Practice material.
  • Sizwe352Sizwe352 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm using Mike Shannon's Videos and Todd Lammle's Book will it work?
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!!!icon_thumright.gif
    Sizwe352 wrote: »

You can also try prof Messer Videos on Youtube they are free, and print out the exam objectives:https://certification.comptia.org/Training/testingcenters/examobjectives.aspx they will help track what's on the exam.

All the best!!!
  • mfrat1114mfrat1114 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sizwe352 wrote: »

I can only speak for what I've used. I'm using Lammle's book for CCENT, though, so I could assume that his Network+ book is solid as well.
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496