Take both exams at same time or split them?

PenguPengu Member Posts: 46 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everybody,

I have decided to tackle the Linux+ exams but despite doing a fair degree of research I am still confused.

Do I understand it correctly that there are 2 exams LX101 & LX102 and you have to take them (and pay for them) separately? I was under the impression that it was just in 2 parts but you take them together. Trying to book the exam on PearsonVue it seems I can only book them separately.

Maybe it is best that I do tackle them separately so I can concentrate on only the objectives for that particular exam?

How is everyone else tackling this?

Regards

Comments

• mikeybikesmikeybikes Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Two separate exams, two fees.

I suppose you could take them at the same time.

Myself, I took them apart. Spent two weeks studying for LX0-101, passed, and then spent another two weeks studying for LX0-102, and passed it yesterday (woohoo).
  • sasnimrodsasnimrod Member Posts: 99 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Pengu wrote: »
    Maybe it is best that I do tackle them separately so I can concentrate on only the objectives for that particular exam?

It is generally suggested that the two Linux+ / LPIC-1 exams are taken separately especially if you don't have a solid Linux background.

I'd also suggest that you take a look at the exam objectives found below:

Exam 101: Detailed Objectives | Linux Professional Institute (LPI)

https://www.lpi.org/linux-certifications/programs/lpic-1/exam-102

Also note that the LPIC-1 and Linux+ certifications cover exactly the same content, and that if you do the Linux+ you can get the LPIC-1 cert if you agree to submit the results to the LPI institute (this does not apply vice versa).
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    All good points, however @sasnimrod--why link him to the LPI objectives and not L+?

Exam Objectives

It's been 2.5 years now but I believe I took the exams two weeks a part.

Note that if you're new to linux, the L+ will be a rather difficult exam...it is still one of the hardest I have taken to date.
  • PenguPengu Member Posts: 46 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info.

I started studying for this about 3 years ago but never took the exam in the end as my career went in a different direction. I still have the Linux+ Roderick Smith book from 3 years ago, not sure how current that is now.

Mainly I will be doing this with Linux Academy which at the moment seems like a great way of studying. I am 50% through on the LX0-101, I was going to smash straight through onto the LX0-102 part but I think I will book the first exam and then go through everything again thoroughly with the labs and then find some practise exams. I am thinking about booking the exam for 4 weeks time to give myself some added impetus (which I need sometimes!)
  • sasnimrodsasnimrod Member Posts: 99 ■■■□□□□□□□
    lsud00d wrote: »
    All good points, however @sasnimrod--why link him to the LPI objectives and not L+?

Comptia make it more complicated by requiring you to fill in a form to get the objectives! icon_silent.gif And then again the exam objectives are practically the same for both exams, since Linux+ is "powered by LPI".

@Pengu I think that you might want to check out the latest version of Roderick Smith's book using the link below:

LPIC-1: Linux Professional Institute Certification Study Guide: (Exams 101 and 102): Roderick W. Smith: 9781118495636: Amazon.com: Books

I'm not sure whether it's gonna be worth it for you to buy this book when you already have an earlier version.

I think that using the material found on Linux Academy and Smith's book is enough for you to pass the exams. I've generally found Linux Academy's material far easier to follow and study from rather than the book.

Good luck with your studies.
  • drozdroz Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took them a week apart, it seemed to work well for me. I studied for both tests up until a week before the first exam, then I crammed on just the first test's objectives. Once I passed the first, I spent the next week on the second test's objectives.
  • brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    @droz, that seems to be a good approach. Although I use Red Hat on a daily basis, I have been on this job for a year now, I someday plan to take Linux+, but I have been saying that for a while. I put it down on my objectives for this year, so I better get it done. The Red Hat stuff I feel confortable with, but Debian is another story. The most I've done with Debian is load it a few times.
  • mikeybikesmikeybikes Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Only thing Debian specific is using the apt package system.

If you've been working with RHEL for a year on a daily basis, the exam should be a cinch.
  • drozdroz Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with mikeybikes, if you are already comfortable with rhel, you should be fine for the exam after looking over apt for a bit.