Options

Wgu?

MichaelD95MichaelD95 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
upon completing my degree at Glyndwr (Computer Networks) I would like to consider WGU, would it be worth it? and how recognized is it among employers?

Comments

• Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Michael,

I don't go to WGU myself but I would recommend doing a forum search and checking out the countless WGU threads on here. It is very popular among those on this forum so there is plenty of information floating around.
  • Options
    Grafixx01Grafixx01 Member Posts: 109 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Seems decent from what people on here say, most of the ones going swear by it. You seem to get a good lot of IT Industry certifications through it but I'm not sure if you have any actual regular classes like you would if you went to another school? Someone else on the forum can tell you that.

I read a few reviews online about it, mixed reviews at that. Some say its good, some say its bad, some have horror stories about it. When I was looking at colleges, I made it a point to make sure they were locally, regionally, nationally accredited schools so all, if not most courses would transfer if I had to. This was on top of other IT Industry certifications, as far as like CNSS, etc. I transferred to three different colleges and never lost credits, although it does help to keep a hard and soft copy of the course catalog for all the years you attend the college so that you can hand it to the college you are transferring to and they can see what you did in the classes you took. This helps them decipher what courses to transfer in / replace when going through the admission process.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Check the IT Jobs/Degrees subforum here, there are hundreds of threads on WGU there. Lots of us go or have went there.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's a great school and it's regionally accredited (the highest and most important accreditation)
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    country28341country28341 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    WGU is accredited and I have not heard of any employer who looks down on this college.
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    MichaelD95 wrote: »
    upon completing my degree at Glyndwr (Computer Networks) I would like to consider WGU, would it be worth it? and how recognized is it among employers?

You say that you've done your degree at Glyndwr, I take it that it's this one? If it is, then I assume that you're in the UK. Unless you're moving the US, I would forget about it - not because that there's anything wrong with WGU, but because of not living in the US. I took a look at enrolling on their program, but was pointed to this:
    WGU wrote:
    Will you admit students living outside the U.S.?

At the present time, WGU is accepting applications only from individuals living in the United States and select geographical areas of Canada. (The exceptions are U.S. active-duty military personnel and their families at overseas installations and individuals living in Guam, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands.)

I do recommend the Open U, that's where I'm studying my post-grad at. The OpenU is one of the few Uni's to gain MSCHE accreditation in the US. If you decide to move over there.
    USA Accreditation: Middle States Commission on Higher Education

The Open University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, 3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104. (267-284-5000). The Middle States Commission on Higher Education is an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. The Open University is one of only two UK higher education institutions to gain MSCHE accreditation.