Certification path? - where to start for VMware

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
Hi Guys,

I'm starting to think about getting a VMware certification and I'm curious where I should start.

I'm taking the Sec + exam on Tuesday and then going to go for the CCNA (I let mine from 2005 expire and I've forgotten stuff now) but after the CCNA I want to do VMware.

I have 3 Dell R610's at home that I used for MCSA studies but giving the fact the 70-640 is a freaking beast I've switched tracks for a bit for other certifications (will come back to MCSA later on) but the 2008 R2 servers are all running on ESXi 5.1 so I know the basics of how to use VMware and setup a VM and stuff so I'm curious what kind of certification is good for me to start off on with VMware 5.1. (however I think the cream-of-the-crop is now 5.5 now)

Thanks.

Comments

• ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I wrestled with where to start for awhile, and just settled on reading through the Mastering VMware vSphere 5 by Scott Lowe, as it explains all the products and features extremely well. I built a lab before I even started reading, but without knowing what the features really were, my lab has been and remains useless for me aside from familiarizing myself with the install process (which a monkey could probably do).

So my best suggestion is to start with that book, as it is a really good read for as far as I have gotten through it.
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    ande0255 wrote: »
    I wrestled with where to start for awhile, and just settled on reading through the Mastering VMware vSphere 5 by Scott Lowe, as it explains all the products and features extremely well. I built a lab before I even started reading, but without knowing what the features really were, my lab has been and remains useless for me aside from familiarizing myself with the install process (which a monkey could probably do).

So my best suggestion is to start with that book, as it is a really good read for as far as I have gotten through it.

Thanks, just bought it on the Kindle.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Deathmage wrote: »
    Thanks, just bought it on the Kindle.

Bear in mind you can get both, 5 and 5.5 :)

As to where to start - depends a bit on your funds too. The full VCP has a class as mandatory requirement which costs a nice chunk of money.

The first one I'd go with maybe would be the associate one

(VCA-DCV) VCA-Data Center Virtualization

Best start is always the Blueprint to see what is being tested

http://mylearn.vmware.com/lcms/web/portals/certification/VCA_Blueprints/VCA-DCV-Exam-Blueprint-Guide-v1_1.pdf

If you work for a VMware Partner, you can always associate yourself with them (simply create a VMware account and your VMware guys at work should be able to point you in the right direction).

As partner you can take a lot of training courses which are free and also two certifications, VMware Sales Professional (VSP) and VMware Technical Sales Professional (VTSP). Unless you love buzzwords and sales, I'd skip the VSP but take the course and exam for VTSP - its somewhat of a micro VCP - very nice technical basics covering everything from vCenter to Hosts, upgrades and even Distributed Virtual Switch ... Doesn't cost any money :D
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    Bear in mind you can get both, 5 and 5.5 :)

Bough 5.5 in the book and 5 for the Kindle. My book self is pretty large anyways; I'm always reading and refreshing.
    I just found this today as well, this explains key points for every aspect of the exam blueprint, which I plan on using once I cover the book to fill in any cracks of the blueprint I feel I may have missed:

http://blog.mwpreston.net/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2012/03/OMG-Study-Guide.pdf

This is for the VCP510 exam, which is what I am going for, which I think is where I will stay until 6 is released or 5.5 becomes much more prevalent. I'd suggest downloading that and keeping it in a safe place, as that will probably be invaluable as exam day draws near :)
  • higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Reading threads like this makes me want to go and get the certs. Been doing ESXi stuff for two years almost now. Really need to get the VCP! Thanks for the motivation!
    higherho wrote: »
    Reading threads like this makes me want to go and get the certs. Been doing ESXi stuff for two years almost now. Really need to get the VCP! Thanks for the motivation!

This forum has that kind of motivational affect I find as-well...

I guess getting VCA-DCV is something to get then; once it's done I guess it will be something to see if my current job will allow me to go to a class about...
  • praminpramin Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ande0255 wrote: »
    I just found this today as well, this explains key points for every aspect of the exam blueprint, which I plan on using once I cover the book to fill in any cracks of the blueprint I feel I may have missed:

http://blog.mwpreston.net/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2012/03/OMG-Study-Guide.pdf

Great find !!!
    Also to feed off what jibbajabba said about working for a VMware partner, I would suggest using the partner locator on the VMware webpage and seeing if you have any in your area, as they are generally MSP's (Managed Service Providers) who are business partners with Cisco and other companies that offer huge discounts.

Through my company I was actually able to get the class requirement for the VCP entirely waived, which is why I immediately switched gears to studying for that, and now I find myself really enjoying learning it. Definitely look into working for a Partner in your area, it can pay off enormously for your career!