Cissp exam Domain weight

Nabsh07Nabsh07 Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
My question (I hope it's ok to ask). Are all domain weight equal. Or should I focus on larger domains more (Telecom, Access control)?

Comments

• TheProfezzorTheProfezzor Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
    According to my own research and knowledge, the following are the most important domains and you should cover them well. The domains are listed according to their importance, coverage of the exam.

Telecom and Network Security
    Information Security and Risk Management
    Access Control
    Application Development Security
    Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery
    System Architecture and Design
    Operations Security
    Laws and Regulations
    Cryptography
    Physical Security
    OSCP: Loading . . .
  • sojournsojourn Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Clement said these are the top 5 in 2009. I am not sure if this is still current?

Information Security and Risk management
    Access Control
    Security Architecture
    Telecommunication and Network Security
    BCP and DRP

It doesn't exactly match with yours above. Personally I would be quite surprised if Application Development Security is higher rated than either BCP/DRP or Systems Architecture.
  • TheProfezzorTheProfezzor Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sojourn wrote: »
    Clement said these are the top 5 in 2009. I am not sure if this is still current?

Access Control
    Security Architecture
    BCP and DRP

It doesn't exactly match with yours above. Personally I would be quite surprised if Application Development Security is higher rated than either BCP/DRP or Systems Architecture.

Basically, I established the list after getting info from 5 people, who recently appeared for CISSP. ISC2 is hitting application development security hard enough. But, you are right. BCP and DRP is equally significant. People going for CISSP can't ignore either of them.
    OSCP: Loading . . .
  • voodoo26voodoo26 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Application Development Security and Laws and Regulations domains were my key domains (weakest) which cause of my first attempt failure. I suggest you to consider all domains are important and study them equally and seriously. One wrong answer from least important domain can change your exam result. And also do not consider to study those domain just for exam. All domains will broaden your security knowledge and you will use it for your company in your working life. This is my humble opinion for this topic :)
    2014 Goals CISSP COLOR=#008000]Passed[/COLOR, 2015 Goals CISM COLOR=#ff0000]June[/COLOR
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @voodoo26...well thought out point. Many people I talk to have this tendency to only study what they think will be on the cert exam. That misses the point entirely. If you don't know the material to the greatest extent possible, you are only short changing yourself. Are you planning on retaking the exam?
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • voodoo26voodoo26 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @stryder144, Yes i will be retaking the exam at 17th April. Underestimating the domains can cause huge disappointment and there is no turning back once you are done. I failed with 670/700. I will see what will happen next :)
    2014 Goals CISSP COLOR=#008000]Passed[/COLOR, 2015 Goals CISM COLOR=#ff0000]June[/COLOR
  • Grafixx01Grafixx01 Member Posts: 109 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you get the Shon Harris 6th edition, latest release / printing, the CD in there has over 1400 questions. Do the exams on it a few times and see where your scores sit, as far as which domains you should re-read/study harder. That's what I did when I was going for the CISSP. It helped a lot to do that and then read the Eric Conrad 2nd Edition Cram Guide to get the knowledge I needed.
  • JonnygJonnyg Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sojourn wrote: »

Access Control
    Security Architecture
    BCP and DRP

I have taken the exam this year and would recommend you know all of the domains inside and out, regardless of importance. You may have some domains that are questioned more heavily than others, but there's no way to know what your exam will be like. Additionally, I think the domains are much closer as far as question percentages than they perhaps may have been in the past. I felt as though I received a roughly equal representation of all the domains. Don't forget that many questions can touch on more than one domain. You really just need to know it all.
    Working on: Nothing, finally.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    All the the CISSP CBK domains are equally represented on the exam. People tend to remember the exam items they had the most difficulty with, which leads to observations such as, "My exam sure had a lot of crypto questions," and "I hardly had any questions on physical security." Just to make it more confusing, there is also the likelihood of exam items containing information from two (or more) domains, but only representing one domain in the exam item pool. When I took my CISSP exam, I attempted to tally the items by domain to check the spread, but gave up because it was too difficult to determine which domain some of the exam items belonged.
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm not taking any chances. I'm covering them all.

Some get more focus from me than others, but that's because I'm less familiar with them than others, not because I believe they'll be weighted differently. Rather over study than under.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Nabsh07Nabsh07 Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the feedback. I'm studying all. I was confused because some of the domains are very large and others have small presence.

jvrlopez and voodoo26. Good luck.