Options

Masters Degree for either Information Security or Software Engineering.

XaymacaXaymaca Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
First off I should say that I did my Bachelors degree in Environmental Science, but wanted to switch fields since I can't find anything pertaining to that. I have some experience with the I.T. field doing just my own work, but not a whole lot of experience. Right now I have a choice of going into Software Engineering and Information Security, but don't know which one will help me get a job. Especially since I don't have much real world experience and eventually want to start my own business after gaining some experience. Which is why I am asking this question here, because I am sure those in the field or those who are very knowledgeable can give me some advice. I was talking to somebody and they told me that Software Engineers usually don't last long in the field due to companies wanting younger (cheap labor) programmers, due to the very fact of cheap labor, where as information security field might not be so. Just looking for advice so I can make a more informed decision on which one to choose. I did start off doing software design and analysis at my local community college, but never finished. Yet I have messed around with networking and linux as well.

Comments

• Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    First of all, it might be a better idea to get into IT first, before jumping into a Masters program. There are a few things that people suggest here, so I will give you the quick run down. You can start out by getting the CompTIA trio: A+, Network+, and Security+. Those will give you one of the broadest, non-OS/vendor specific education you can receive. You don't necessarily have to sit for the exams, but, the knowledge will give you a bit of future direction. Some people can't stand fixing computers, some don't care for networking (and subnetting), and others couldn't care any less about what it takes to secure a computer or network. Next, I'd grab a bit of OS specific knowledge, such as an MCSA in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008/2012. You could, since you have Linux experience, go for the CompTIA Linux+, powered by LPI.

If you dig networking, then the CCENT, CCNA, Junos series of networking technologies would be next on your study and certification list. VMware (VCP5-DCV) pretty much goes hand-in-hand with the networking stuff.

If you dig security, then the CCNA/Security and the Junos security route would be helpful. GSEC is a rather indepth security cert that doesn't require years and years of security experience to obtain. The CISSP is considered the end-all-be-all for security management certs. It requires four to five years experience in a security setting, in two of the ten domains it covers.

After you have some experience, I'd consider getting the masters degree that makes the most sense to and for you. Georgia Tech has an MSc CS that costs only $7k, utilizing MOOCs. WGU has an inexpensive MSc in Information Assurance and Security. Both are worth a look. Naturally, I'd wait until you have some experience so that it doesn't negatively affect you when looking for a job. Some employers will shy away from someone with a masters and no experience...they might think that you are over-educated and will want more money than your experience dictates.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    +1 I agree with Stryder.
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    Since I am the one who traditionally goes against prevailing wisdom I would say the MS In SE with a minor or dual degree of IS. I have a business degree and have moved into the field of IT through a non-traditional route. Look there is nothing wrong with cutting your teeth getting certs and working your way up.

I personally like money and based on the salaries I hear getting thrown around for some of the cert only jobs I would take a pass on that approach. I found a field that needs IT but yet most people don't have IT skills and then I positioned myself to move through that sector. It worked for me, I never had to take a job below 55k and now make much more then that.

Think about it this way, programmers, man there's a crap ton of them in India and Eastern block countries that you can outsource to. IT Security, most people will frown on you if you don't have experience. However, take your environmental science degree, go work as an energy analytics designer with a IT masters.... Or, go work for the utilities as a resource planner with IT background.. or go work for a consulting group as a system analyst focused on a niche of security within resource focused SCADA systems.

The name of the game is to avoid the conventional jobs, combine degrees and skills to approach non-traditional avenues where the demand outweighs the supply.
  • Options
    XaymacaXaymaca Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks, I really appreciate all the advice.