Sourcefire Acquired by Cisco

MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
Pretty interesting news for those of us in security. It'll be interesting how they integrate them into their current security offering.More info: Cisco Completes Acquisition of Sourcefire - Cisco Systems

Edit: I just heard about this, maybe this is old news...

Comments

• Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    From the press release:
    Cisco is also committed to open source innovation and will continue to support Snort, ClamAV and other open source projects.

I really hope this is true. Keep Snort alive and open source!
    In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I believe the acquisition was finalized in October of last year...But still worth keeping an eye on.

I work in a traditional NSM security operations environment, and I can tell you our SOC went with Suricata instead after hearing of Cisco's purchase of Sourcefire. I think a 'wait and see' approach is probably wise at this point.
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with you YFZblu, but I think a lot of companies are recognizing open source as something that is feasible and possibly even productive to their business model. I do think a lot of companies are also in a 'wait and see' approach about it though.
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Since Marty Roesche is now the chief architect of Cisco's security business, as well as the fact that OpenAppID has just gone alpha, I get the feeling that this particular Cisco acquisition won't result like their past acquisitions with decimated products. What I really want to know is how the overlapping product lines are going to integrate.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From what I've heard the Cisco IPS line will go away and Sourcefire is going to be king. I can only guess that they will eventually integrate Sourcefire with their ASAs which would be pretty cool if you ask me!
  • Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That would definitely be cool! At least until Cisco sells Sourcefire off to Belkin. icon_lol.gif
    In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    f0rgiv3n wrote: »
    From what I've heard the Cisco IPS line will go away and Sourcefire is going to be king.
    That would indicate Cisco's IPS is not based on Snort like so many other IPS products are. I had wondered about that.