Best IT Location

SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
Where in the world is the best location for IT Professionals in terms of job oppertunities and pay scale?

What are peoples thoughts? Also what companies are the best to work for?
Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools

Comments

• strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would say London is quite good, with finance and insurance companies paying the most. But then that can depend where you are from.

For example in Perth, Australia mining, oil and gas industries will pay more.
  • troys3troys3 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    strauchr wrote:
    I would say London is quite good, with finance and insurance companies paying the most. But then that can depend where you are from.

wow, just the opposite in the states. Finance and insurance pay the least! I know, I work in the finance world.
  • DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys, new to the forums, but I just couldn't resist when I read this thread. From what I hear theres alot of good job opportunities in India...

I know, I know... I couldn't resist. :D
  • jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    I've heard that the south is the place for IT right now...particularly Alabama over to Florida and Georgia. (I have a friend in IT in Alabama and his company just hired 185 new techs!!!) I'd be down there except for the small fact that I have no desire to live in the south and neither does my wife... icon_wink.gif
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jpeezy55 wrote:
    I've heard that the south is the place for IT right now...particularly Alabama over to Florida and Georgia. (I have a friend in IT in Alabama and his company just hired 185 new techs!!!) I'd be down there except for the small fact that I have no desire to live in the south and neither does my wife... icon_wink.gif

Nope, no jobs down here in the south. None at all, nope. I hear they are all way up north, or like the other guy said, in London. I'm not just saying that to keep the competition away either... No point in anyone with any real skills moving down here. Waste of time for sure.. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    DirtySouth wrote:
    Hey guys, new to the forums, but I just couldn't resist when I read this thread. From what I hear theres alot of good job opportunities in India...

I know, I know... I couldn't resist. :D

"Heddo, dis is Dell Tehk Support. How vill I help you?"

-- Where are you located??

"In da India"

Next call to Microsoft...

"Heddo, dis is Microsoftl Tehk Support. How vill I help you?"

-- Didn't I just speak to you a second ago.

'Yes and tank you berry much"

Pleasant people, but its tough on a 5 hr phone call for support trying to decipher the accent.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Nope, no jobs down here in the south. None at all, nope. I hear they are all way up north, or like the other guy said, in London. I'm not just saying that to keep the competition away either... No point in anyone with any real skills moving down here. Waste of time for sure.. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Whew, thanks for clearing that up...I'll stay here in PA and get all the good jobs... icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
    Its okay Sprky is only one hurricane away from London anyways.

Won't need airfare, just a banana box.
  • johnnyg5646johnnyg5646 Member Posts: 173
    Back in 2002 when I was researching college I read that some of the highest paying IT places in the country was in the New England area. Not sure if this was completely true or not. But, I do live near Hartford CT and it seems there has been a lot of oppertunity there.
    BS - Computer Science
    MS - Computer Information Systems

Won't need airfare, just a banana box.
    Ow! Low blow, man.. That hurts!
    icon_lol.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    There is a big market for computer guys right now. I think its just the season though. I managed to get myself an Administrator job with just the current certs listed. I would have expected most places to require atleast an MCSA for this title. I do not feel overwelmed with the job, but I was just amazed that they even considered me and then hired me. I have had a lot of experience with administration in the past 3 years. Most companies I guess prefer experience over certifications.

I am in Alaska btw.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Anywhere that has a college campus or housing for students.
  • swilkersonswilkerson Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I live in Alabama and there are alot of good jobs in the South. Atlanta being very rich in IT jobs. Couldnt move to New England though. No desire to live in the North. Probably couldnt afford the taxes you guys pay up there anyway. Plus the snow. No thanks
  • bzdziagwabzdziagwa Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,
    If you are looking for good oportunity and salary in EU, please pay attention for Ireland, especialy if you are database admin or developer.
    London is good place to start but this city is, lets say "quite" expencive ;)
    Another EU country where the salary is relative high is Scotland but on the other side the climate is horrible (rain rain rain clouds rain and again clouds with rain hehehe)
    You will probably become insane in 2-3 months icon_lol.gif

Regards
    B.
  • sunismine13sunismine13 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would say london is pretty good to get a job if you are Experienced at all! Very hard if you are not.
    i have working in Tech support and Computer repairs and i am working now as a GUI designer for touch panels. only in london...
  • lozstlouislozstlouis Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    London is hugely expensive. This means the salary might be £35k a year but you'll spend most of that existing! I am born & bred in London and the only reason I can maintain my life here is beacuse all my family is here so i could get on all the ladders early.

I quite fancy clearing off the Vancouver & setting up there. Anyone know the job market?
    I am in Vancouver.... job market is decent...

http://www.sisystems.com/mp/opp/index.cfm/city.4/si.html look at some of the postings there... I think they take a 15% cut of the contract. I know someone there so let me know if you want their email.
  • Go BucksGo Bucks Member Posts: 152
    Nobody up and move to southern Ohio anytime soon. icon_sad.gif
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."
  • darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    lozstlouis wrote:
    London is hugely expensive. This means the salary might be £35k a year but you'll spend most of that existing! I am born & bred in London and the only reason I can maintain my life here is beacuse all my family is here so i could get on all the ladders early.

I quite fancy clearing off the Vancouver & setting up there. Anyone know the job market?

I do quite well here but I make about double that figure. I also don't own a car here and rent a tiny 1 bed flat. I'm setting myself up for going back home ;)
  • lozstlouislozstlouis Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have a wife, three daughters, two mortgages, two jobs, an MCP & Golf GTI that likes to go fast. Hey ho.