Options

How many of you still do programming?

LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
I am an infosec professional working largely in a SOC enviroment, my daily duty is to monitor for traffic, both in compliance and attack, as well as to document the procedures down for investigation, explanation and analysis for both audit and understanding purposes.

Recently I had decided to move back to programming due to curiousity and to learn python, ruby, C, perl, assembly for the next milestone of my knowledge. Back in my times at school I had only learn Java and C++. The last time I touch was a shell script for google hacking 2 years ago, and before that, majority was in school, andthat was about 6 years ago. Learning back programming was tough.

So while going through the book, I painfully type those examples one by one and I follow along. I was happy that I manage to create a Sled Generator (to replace random characters for x90) in C last night as part of a book challenge and got it working (there was no answer given or found online). I was delighted I still haven't "lost it" and manage to get to piece a working codes from research.

While at it, I am just curious on this, how many of you are still in programming, or plan to start on it back in the future?

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It is about the same for me. I don't work at a SOC, but do work in regulation/compliance. Recently we've been developing our own tools to accomplish certain tasks and Python has been the go to language. I had tried to start learning it on my own, but without a reason I never got far. Now I am doing surprisingly well. I figure I'm staying put for awhile, but I think now I will make sure my next role includes a fair amount of programming.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I work in a SOC as well, performing traditional NSM like the OP outlined. I learned Python, and it has been a tremendous help in automating tasks the SOC used to trudge through manually. I also learned the basics of JavaScript (mostly for reversing exploit kit redirects) and C. I'm starting OSCP next week, and I'm sure I'll need to pick up some bash scripting for that in the meantime.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I miss certain aspects of programming a lot. That's where I started my career and today I don't get a chance to do it today.

On the flip side, I find that I do enjoy it more now that I do it mainly as a hobby and diversion. Like you, I get a great sense of satisfaction when a particular project starts to work. I am very fortunate that the unencumbered process of programming various little projects has a benefit of keeping me close to various technologies that I'm interested in. This has the benefit that I can sometimes translate the learning interesting technology for my day-job.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I really ought to learn Python, but the CCIE kinda takes over everything :)
  • Options
    cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm studying for my CISSP hoping that it will help open some doors into a full-time security role. That being said, I know that programming is very valuable in the field and I plan on learning python as my first language seeing as that is the one that gets mentioned the most when it comes to useful languages to learn in the ITsec field.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I write A LOT of SQL which keeps my mind fresh. I also write some VBA but have been building all my reports using SQL lately.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I find my self more and more writing code to help with my wife's data analysis. I am not a programmer by any means but along with Google can muddle my way through in a number of languages. Both scripting From VB through various script to C.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As a hobby I do all my programming currently outside at home. I work in a environment with a heavy emphasis on Windows.

I have developed a bit of a obsession with Linux so being a programming noob I am dabbling with Bash scripting nothing to extravagant just learning the fundamentals of how to write good clean code learning about variable declaration, loops, functions, arguments that kind of thing.

I am thinking of going down the python route afterwards figured I could apply any expertise I learn to both the Linux and Windows platform and it could have some benefit in the work environment.
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "