CISSP Certified (Finally!)

levsterlevster Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I've been a silent member of this forum since March 2014. Thanks for all the great advice. This is an excellent forum.

I recently took and passed the CISSP exam and finally got my endorsement approved today. I am now officially a CISSP. Stoked about it.

I have over 15 years of Information Security experience. The only book I used to prepare for this exam was the Official (ISC)² Guide to the CISSP CBK, Third Edition. Its a pretty comprehensive book, in my opinion.

I wish all those pursuing CISSP certification, the very best. Good Luck! It's worth it.

Kind Regards,

Levster

Comments

• TheProfezzorTheProfezzor Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good to hear you finally got it. Any comments on what sort of questions did you encounter and any suggestions you might wanna give to people who are yet to face the dragon? :)
    OSCP: Loading . . .
  • levsterlevster Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I thought the CISSP exam was a fair exam. I rather enjoyed the challenge. The questions test the concepts well. So through understanding of the domain material is imperative for being successful in this exam. In summary, spend time in understanding the domain material. The rest should fall in place.

Cheers,

Levster
  • BenchwarmersBenchwarmers Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, levster!! I know your feeling. I am waiting for my endorsement approvals to go through as we speak. What's next for you?
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif

It's good to see a very experienced InfoSec professional passing the CISSP using only the official material. It validates how having InfoSec experience and studying from the OIG CISSP CBK book are very relevant to passing the CISSP exam. We see a lot of people who have minimal InfoSec experience and load up on all the popular study CISSP materials and still fail. Real experience and the official materials are still king! icon_king.gif
  • TheProfezzorTheProfezzor Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
    levster wrote: »
    I thought the CISSP exam was a fair exam. I rather enjoyed the challenge. The questions test the concepts well. So through understanding of the domain material is imperative for being successful in this exam. In summary, spend time in understanding the domain material. The rest should fall in place.

Cheers,

Levster

Did you see anything, you didn't expect?. What was the focused domain and how many technical questions did you encounter?. Kindly provide a generic summary of the exam experience for people who are nervous as hell.
    OSCP: Loading . . .
    Totally agree with JDMurray. Well said.
    TheProfezzor,

The questions I encountered in the CISSP exam was very different from what I had anticipated. It was scenario based which truly tests your concepts. I believe (ISC)2 have got it right with this exam question format. If you take time to understand the domain concepts, then you could easily apply those to correctly answer the exam questions.

As I mentioned to you earlier that the exam questions were different from what I had anticipated. It took me about 10 minutes to settle down and get familiar with the style of question on this test. Read the questions carefully and answer putting your security hat on. "You are responsible for securing information". This should be your guiding principle in answering the questions. I hope this helps.
  • BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif

It's good to see a very experienced InfoSec professional passing the CISSP using only the official material. It validates how having InfoSec experience and studying from the OIG CISSP CBK book are very relevant to passing the CISSP exam. We see a lot of people who have minimal InfoSec experience and load up on all the popular study CISSP materials and still fail. Real experience and the official materials are still king! icon_king.gif

Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • Grafixx01Grafixx01 Member Posts: 109 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats man! Good job!
    Thanks guys, appreciate the support on this journey. I took a good 5 hours and 15 minutes to give it my best shot. My mind was mush after that. I was not sure If had passed when I clicked end exam. It was only after I went to collect my result that the exam invigilator informed me with a smile that I had passed, I remember she had commented that the exam was very long and was happy to see a pass score.

Cheers.
  • BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
  • webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Took me a while to pass the CISSP but welcome!
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+