Great book for VMware networking

EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
Grab it while there's a 50% discount. I have been thumbing through it and reckon it'd make a good addition to anyone's reading material whether your at the VCP or VCAP levels. Especially liked the details on:

- the constructs of the vSS and vDS, and how they differ from pSwitches (nice detailed info)
- IP storage
- design scenarios

Steal for $22!
NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Wait, did I miss something? Which book are you talking about?

Think I found it: Networking for VMware Administrators | Pearson IT Certification
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah that was the one mate, I forgot to add the link!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Like if Cisco and VMware had a beautiful baby book icon_study.gif Thanks for sharing!
    Where did you find it for $22? Least I see is like $35 via cyberguy's link.
  • A10A10 Member Posts: 9 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hi

use coupon:

Earthday

Thanks
    A10
    Ahhhhhhh, and I was trying to get a hard copy to physically set on my desk, that is a bummer!
    That discount code only works when you purchase two or more books.

@ande0255 - The book's still $22 (even though it says $35), just select to proceed to checkout and there you'll see it say $22 (not $35). Looks like the discount's going away soon, so if you still want it go for it now. Hard copy or soft copy - it's decent reading material.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Found a brand new hard copy on ebay for $27, way stoked to check this out, big thanks again for pointing out this book! :D
  • CChilderhoseCChilderhose Member Posts: 137
    Bought the eBook version and started reading. Great book and very informative. Will come in handy for VCAP exams. :D
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
    MCITP: EA, VA, SA
    VCAP-DCD, VCP6 -- COMING SOON
  • dacetodaceto Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the book title. I picked it up at 1/2 off and think its really nice from what I have read thus far.
  • burfectburfect Member Posts: 128
    Would this book be beneficial to someone with an understanding of VMWare/virtualization but relatively green to networking in general? Or is it more suited to HOW specifically networks interact with VMWare for those who already have an understanding of networking.
    I'd say it's beneficial for a very, very basic understanding of how LAN networks operate, but nowhere near the scope of even CCENT level knowledge.

Very good book thus far though, the little bit that I have read has been a good brush up on some network basics / details that have aged out of my brain.
  • HP_GuyHP_Guy Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for pointing this out. I've just bought this book, looks really good. I'm working towards the VCP (have completed the course requirement.) Can anybody recommend a similar book but for storage? Storage is the area I have least familiarity with.

• SteveFerSteveFer Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Would it be any benefit to someone with a CCNA , but zero virtualization knowledge, I am just about to start the mastering v sphere book and if it would be beneficial I would use this too.
    HP_Guy wrote: »
    Thanks for pointing this out. I've just bought this book, looks really good. I'm working towards the VCP (have completed the course requirement.) Can anybody recommend a similar book but for storage? Storage is the area I have least familiarity with. Thanks :)

The Mastering book is good enough for your VCP level understanding of the storage side of things. You could always get the Storage Implementation in vSphere 5 by Mostafa Khalil (VCDX #2), pure gold that book. A great reference book, overkill for the VCP though.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

SteveFer wrote: »
    Would it be any benefit to someone with a CCNA , but zero virtualization knowledge, I am just about to start the mastering v sphere book and if it would be beneficial I would use this too.
    Well I guess the more resources you have, the better it is. The Mastering vSphere book is good enough if you dont have much experience with vSphere. For $16 or so, this book's great value. I'd buy it if I were you.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• SteveFerSteveFer Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    Well I guess the more resources you have, the better it is. The Mastering vSphere book is good enough if you dont have much experience with vSphere. For $16 or so, this book's great value. I'd buy it if I were you.

Great, thanks