HELP CompTIA A+ Exam Study :/

azher91azher91 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
i]i just started the COMPTIA A+ Course and i'm sniffing my nose around everywhere, im taking classes and im doing practice exams, what i really read right now is help :/ please tell me what exactly would i be facing in the two exams and where should i practice/study more, sorry if im starting to post this as a noob.

]Regards,

Ali.

Comments

• hannismhannism Member Posts: 112
    I'm also studying for the A+.

If you are taking classes and doing well on the practice tests, I would say you should be fine.

I do have a question for you. Have you ever built a computer, or done any type of hardware upgrade?

If you haven't, that would be a good way for you to build your experience and confidence. You could get an old computer. Doesn't have to be current or expensive. You could work on striping it down, and rebuilding the parts together.

Then you could also work on formatting and reinstalling an operating system on it.

My advice would help you more on the 801 test, but it could also apply to some parts of the 802 test.
    Obtained: CompTIA Linux+ [X] CompTIA Security + [X] CCENT [X] CCNA: Routing and Switching [X] CCNA: Security [X] CCNA: Wireless [X] Linux Server Professional (LPIC-1) [X] SUSE Certified Linux Administrator [X]
    Currently studying: Red Hat Certified System Administrator > Red Hat Certified System Engineer > CISSP
  • AW177AW177 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I completed my A+ recently (April) and took the 802 test today! What advice I can give, is to study as much and from as many sources as possible. I used the Exam Cram book and Exam Cram practice tests book, Professor Messer's videos (which are awesome) and his study guides. Also review the test objectives for each exam from the CompTIA website.

I passed the 801 with an 818 and 802 with an 869.

Also agree with hannism, nothing beats hands on experience - if you can get yourself a computer to build or tinker around with, that's the best experience possible with passing this test.
  • azher91azher91 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes I have done a complete stripping of computer hardware. I used to work at a computer shop. I have been studying alot. Been taking practice exams, what really bothers me are those questions about ranges and networking questions. Otherwise I really do fine on the tests but im still worried that im practicing less. I have a class in an hour. Can anyone link me with those exam cram test papers?
    Those questions about ranges and things like that may appear on the exam, best advice I can give you is to make some flash cards and memorize them.

This is the book I mentioned: Exam Cram Practice Questions: CompTIA A+ 220-801 and 220-802 Authorized Practice Questions Exam Cram (5th Edition): David L. Prowse: 9780789749741: Amazon.com: Books

I was actually thinking of selling mine since I don't really have a use for it anymore and I never wrote on it..
  • ImYourOnlyDJImYourOnlyDJ Member Posts: 180
    I also agree with hannism and that nothing beats hands on experience. If you have some experience working with and inside PCs you will know what a USB port looks like, where the CPU fan plugs in, where the RAM goes, etc... Besides getting the hands on I would reccommend going over the objectives for both exams several times and in fact there were several questions on the exam that were answered right on the objectives sheet. I only used my personal experience working with computers and Mike Meyers All in One to pass both exams.
  • MaxSixxMaxSixx Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you're looking for someone to help explain concepts to you, Professor Messer has great online videos of each individual objectives of the exams. If you're having trouble wrapping your head around a certain concept, spend a half hour or so and go check out his video for that area. He also has a chat application at the bottom of his site with other students that are always more than willing to answer any of your questions.

Also, when you're doing your practice exams, make spend a little bit of time on each question, and make sure you can explain what all the answers are, not just the correct one. Most practice questions will use only other A+ concepts as the incorrect answers. So really, you can answer 4 questions per practice quesiton. If you're unsure about one of the answers you see, look it up. There is an endless amount of information on the internet. If all else fails, we can always help you out too. icon_thumright.gif
  • maroofcmaroofc Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    AW177 wrote: »
    Those questions about ranges and things like that may appear on the exam, best advice I can give you is to make some flash cards and memorize them. This is the book I mentioned: Exam Cram Practice Questions: CompTIA A+ 220-801 and 220-802 Authorized Practice Questions Exam Cram (5th Edition): David L. Prowse: 9780789749741: Amazon.com: Books I was actually thinking of selling mine since I don't really have a use for it anymore and I never wrote on it..
    Im selling my copy if youre interested :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Professor Messer is great! I would recommend getting you hands on the official Pearson certification study guide! I found these to work the best whenever I pursued my certifications. CompTIA A+ 220-801 and 220-802 Authorized Cert Guide (3rd Edition): Mark Edward Soper, David L. Prowse, Scott Mueller: 9780789748508: Amazon.com: Books Watch the videos on the disc as well. They provide great real-world examples!!
    maroofc wrote: »
    how much are you selling it for?

Thank you guys for all your input and I will definitely try to get my hands on the book. Will try to watch these prof Messer videos as well
    maroofc wrote: »

Lol I meant I am selling my copy as well!
    Hi there guys, im doing fairly well my classes, the classes are supposed to be finished by the 15th of this month, i score 876 on practice tests and currently im doing really good, i got my books from sybex exam prep tools, are they any good?
    Don't know about the Sybex one but I have the Exam Cram Questions book and that one is really good!