Microsoft Abandons Windows 8.1:Take Immediate Action Or Be Cut Off Like Windows XP

jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p

Comments

• SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for posting this!
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The Forbes article really blows this out of proportion. If you're in an environment with strict change control and testing procedures and Windows 8.1 computers, you'll need to scramble to get this approved and distributed. For everyone else – ie, the vast majority of us – this is not a big deal. If you'd be applying security updates, you'd be applying this anyone just as you would a security update.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    so I guess this is officially the new windows ME.
    In pursuit of CCNA:SECURITY; CCNP; THEN MCSE
  • BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    Agree with ptilsen, this isn't near as terrible as they make it sound.
    Frankly I'm surprised they are supporting Windows 8 till 2016.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm not sure why you would release a concept OS into your environment in the first place.
    Right, the great majority of corporate environments are still Windows 7 or Windows XP. I'm still turning down/ignoring consulting/contracting opportunities for XP to 7 upgrade projects all the time. Windows 8 and 8.1 are not exactly compelling to the average business.
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
  • mikeybikesmikeybikes Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Forbes is not exactly where I go to for technology news...

Blown way out of proportion, and it isn't the first time Microsoft has released an update that was a prerequisite to future updates.
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    mikeybikes wrote: »
    Forbes is not exactly where I go to for technology news...

Blown way out of proportion, and it isn't the first time Microsoft has released an update that was a prerequisite to future updates.

Exactly, half the updates out there need pre-requisites.
    Not that I'm going to defend Forbes as a source of tech news or a publication in general (it has gone downhill), but this is a Forbes "contributor" article. Pretty much any idiot can be a Forbes contributor (and at that, most of them are idiots), which is how you get ridiculous articles with titles like "Microsoft Abandons Windows 8.1: Take Immediate Action Or Be Cut Off Like Windows XP," which is in no way, shape, or form accurate.
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with having them upgrade to the latest "Update". I guess they're more confident in their upgrades/fixes and there would be less fragmentation. The article title threw me off a little
  • ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The article is a bit dramatic, however it is rather annoying this this "Update" is just on the tail end of the 8.1 "update" .
    Then again, it's more like somewhere between a Service Pack and a regular update.
    It's been a while since I tinkered with Windows, but if i recall correctly patches still couldn't be applied in an ad-hoc manner, there is a particular sequence to them , no?
    This Update thing seems no different to me, especially if it's free.

Whats the version nomenclature going to look like in the future?
    8.1Update1 > 8.1Update2.1 > 8.1Update3.4Patch7 ?
    heh,

It seems that XP had a really good stint, 12 (?) years or so, however in the "good old days" the life cycle was somewhat shorter
    3.11 > 95 > 98 > Me ...
    Maybe we've just spoilt on XP sticking around and imprinting itself for the better part of a generation.
    With open source distros there are distinctions between intermediary OS's and ones that receive long term support, even with long term support the product cycle is much shorter than a decade!

oh well, good read though, i'm pretty confident that a user somewhere has read it and is writing a panicked e-mail to their support team!
    at last now we'll be prepared to respond!
  • GLaDOS11GLaDOS11 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The article seems to be written by someone who really hates Microsoft and Windows 8. I'm not sure that it's anywhere near as big of a deal as he makes it out to be. If installing the new update is THAT big of a deal to certain companies, you have a month to test it before the updates stop. Sure, it stinks, but you can't blame any company for not supporting old versions of software. Plus, 99% of the home users don't touch update settings so they'll all be configured to download updates automatically. It won't require any user interaction from non-tech crowd. The whole tone of the article seems really biased.

Also, I haven't followed the Heartbleed bug too closely and I don't know much about it, but it was my understanding that the bug had to do with a transport layer protocol and not specifically Microsoft and Windows...? It seems like the author is bringing it up just to further his point that it's a dumb decision, when, in reality, there's no connection outside of both being related to security.
  • mikeybikesmikeybikes Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    GLaDOS11 wrote: »
    Also, I haven't followed the Heartbleed bug too closely and I don't know much about it, but it was my understanding that the bug had to do with a transport layer protocol and not specifically Microsoft and Windows...? It seems like the author is bringing it up just to further his point that it's a dumb decision, when, in reality, there's no connection outside of both being related to security.
    Correct. No Microsoft systems were affected by Heartbleed, since they don't use OpenSSL for their implementation of SSL/TLS
  • cnfuzzdcnfuzzd Member Posts: 208
    My guess is there is a serious flaw patched in the update that Microsoft is unwilling or unable to tell you about.

Also, anyone running W8 already clearly deserves whatever frustration this causes.

John

Work In Progress: BSCI, Sharepoint