CCNA or burst

techEDtechED Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
icon_redface.gif
Hello everyone,
I know this must been aked to death but I'm here revive it.
I am looking to do the CCNA exam(s), need to know what book(s) you guys would recommend and equipment to buy. I am planning on home study.

I just completed a BSc in Comp Sci, but looking for a position as a Nework Administrator but each interviewer or recruiter keep saying i need certs.
I do know desktop support but the network side is where I want to be, I have MCP, thats it.

Comments

• skaeightskaeight Member Posts: 130
    I just went through what you're going through now trying to pick books and equipment. Basically there are 2 books that people use to study for 640-801:

CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide, 5th Edition (640-801), Lammle, Todd. ISBN # 0782143911 (Sybex)

CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (Exam #640-801) (2nd Edition), Odom, Wendell. ISBN # 1587201690 (Cisco Press)

I have Lammle and so far it's great. Many people here will tell you that you should really read both, and I may end up getting Odom as well.

I'll let someone else answer the equipment question.
  • HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    Read Todd's then fill in the gaps with Wendells.
    Now working full time!
  • techEDtechED Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Okay, Thanks.
    Thats books what about equipment, and best cost.
    Also after the 64-801 whats next in terms of certs.
  • D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    techED wrote:
    after the 64-801 whats next in terms of certs.
    http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/learning_career_certifications_and_learning_paths_home.html

The other associate level cert is for Design.

Then there are the 5 Professional level certs.

Or, if you're feeling lucky, you can skip right to one of the 5 Expert level certs. icon_lol.gif

You could also sneak in the MCSA after the CCNA and before a Professional Level Cisco cert.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • techEDtechED Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanx for the info.