Boson Practice Exams

ramrunner800ramrunner800 Member Posts: 238
Hey guys. I was wondering how well the Boson Practice Exams replicate the difficulty of the CEH exam? I got them, and decided to take one before preparing for the test, just to see how I did. I got a passing score, though not by a huge margin. I'm just trying to get a feeling for where I'm at relative to the exam.
Currently Studying For: GXPN

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I've run through the Boson ExSim-Max practice exams for CEHv8 and, although I have not yet taken the CEH exam, I really don't think The Boson product by itself is adequate prep from the CEHv8 exam. The practice exam's items themselves are very high quality, informative, and have lots of great teaching material. However, many of the practice exam questions are not specific to the CEH topics, and seem to be taken from Boson practice exams for other IT certs. In fact, there are many CEH modules have very few questions in the Boson ExSim-Max CEHv8 practice exams. You can see this by selecting "Custom Exam", clicking the "Modify Settings" button, clicking the "Category and Keyword Settings" button, and selecting a single CEH module category to create a custom exam from. Finally, the Boson "CEHv8" practice exams reference only CEHv7 materials.
  • emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    I think the Boson materials are spot on. If you're getting a passing score on the full test then you should be good to go, especially if you read up on the explanations of any questions you missed. I'm pretty sure I saw a few that may or may not have been similar to the actual exam; they appeared way out of left field and left me asking "where was this in the text?". Sure enough, i'd review and it was there, so it's good to gauge your ability.

Keep in mind a few things about the Ex-Sim:
    1. Boson is an authorized CEH Training Vendor
    2. You can buy a license for the Boson Ex-Sim through EC-Council's iClass as an add on.
    3. The Ex-Sim is shown on EC-Council's page. Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) Training Online - EC-Council iClassEC Council iClass

So it's more or less the official question stack.
  • ramrunner800ramrunner800 Member Posts: 238
    Thanks, I really appreciate your remarkably well informed answers.
    Currently Studying For: GXPN
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I recently opened a ticket with Boson that described a discrepancy I found between information in their ExSim-Max for CEH v8 practice exams and information in the official EC-Council CEHv8 course materials. The reply I received from Boson was: "The content in our practice exam covers topics that you might see on the live exam. It is not formulated as a book review nor does it necessarily reflect the published topic from the exam vendor."

This response leads me to think that although Boson might be the official practice exam vendor of the EC-Council, don't expect their CEH practice exams to be crafted from the CEHv8 objectives unabridged, or that every topic you see in a Boson CEH practice exam could be in the actual CEH exam.